Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

Flexxi Floss - UNI Flexx

I don't think so, but I have never found real Flexi Floss, so take this with a grain of salt. Uni flex is a sort of stretchy woven floss-like material. I have been told that Flexi Floss is the same or at least close to Spanflex. Spanflex is a more rubbbery stretchy material.

Uni flex is not the same as flex floss. FrequentTyer is correct about spanflex being the closest match to flex floss. Flex floss is rubbery like silli legs but does not get as brittle over time.

I think you may be confused with UNI Stretch which is a stretchy floss, substitute but UNI Flexx is a rubber material which I use for legs as silly legs often breaks very easily under tension. I was just curious as I never heard or seen Flexi Floss before but as far as pics on the webs go it is the same as UNI Flexx.

Well that video answers the question right at the start. He says to use Flexi - Floss or UNI Flexx as it has many names now.

I think you may be confused with UNI Stretch which is a stretchy floss, substitute but UNI Flexx is a rubber material which I use for legs as silly legs often breaks very easily under tension. I was just curious as I never heard or seen Flexi Floss before but as far as pics on the webs go it is the same as UNI Flexx.

Well that video answers the question right at the start. He says to use Flexi - Floss or UNI Flexx as it has many names now.

Yep, I was thinking of Uni Stretch. Sorry about the confusion.

UNI-Flexx is a fine elastic strand and comes in fifteen colors:

UNI-Stetch: Tired of having strands of floss separate and slide down the hook bend? An exclusive offering of UNI-Products, UNI-Stretch, will solve your problems. This stretch nylon material is easy to wrap, stays in place, and makes excellent underbodies as well.

Spirit River’s Flex-Floss is an extremely versatile synthetic material that can easily replace floss in any recipe as well as create wiggly legs that shimmer and shine when wet. When Flex-Floss is stretched tightly about the hook shank, it can produce poppy segmented midge larvae and pupae. Spirit River Flex-Floss is packaged in convenient 6-inch long doubled hanks and is available in four punchy colors. Brace yourself because the bright luster of Spirit River’s Flex-Floss will make your artificial fly patterns take off!

These are the descriptions from a couple web sites of the material in question. I was also mistaking the uni=stretch for uni-flexx. It appears you should be able to use one to replace the other. The Uni-flexx come on a spool where the flex floss comes in hanks or bundles. Here is a link to UNI page with a Nymph tied with there flexx. Click on the Nymph Chartreuse, Redbille in the nymph list.

http://www.uniproducts.com/eng/mouches.asp

Just wondering if Flexxi Floss and UNI Flexx are the same thing?

flexi floss is really like spanflex, with a brighter tone and thicker in diameter..i have been using flex floss for legs antennae, and even made some san juan worm variations. i really like it

Uni-flexx

uni-flexx.jpg

Uni-Flexx is a fine elastic strand and comes spooled in thirteen colours. The strand may be divided into even smaller strands if desired. Uni-Flexx can be used for as a body wrap,legs or skirts. Many like to use Uni-Flexx as a floss replacement because of it's easy handling qualities. Suitable for bodies of small nymphs, larva and pupa. Uni-Flexx retains the original colour when wet unlike many other materials.

Flexi Floss

FlexiFloss_lrg.jpg

Flexi Floss/Floss Flex is a crinkly spandex material that is stretchable yet handles like floss. Great for ribbing, wiggly legs, antennae, segented wrapped midge bodies, and more. Flexi Floss/Floss Flex is easy to use and adds a little extra shine to your flies. Best of all it doesn't break down like rubber does, so your legs will last longer.

Spanflex

All_med.jpg

Spanflex is a very strong, extremely stretchable semi-translucent material with many varied used for the fly tier. Great for tails, feelers, ribbing,legs and bodies.

life flex

lifeflex.jpg

This spandex material is oval in shape and wiggles like crazy in the water when tied in as legs. Also can be wound like floss for bodies on dries or nymphs

one may not be EXACTLY the same as the other, but i'll bet they can be used interchangeably

so flexi floss, uni-flexx, spanflex, life flex are BASICALLY the same