Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Just finished building this for my sister

Well first off let me say I HATE working with anything wood related. I was a welder for the better part of 20 yrs so if I can;t weld it it has no business being in my shop lol. Now with that out of the way...

I'm sure most you guys have seen the classic Christmas movie with Chevy Chase "Lampoons Christmas Vacation". Well in that movie they have what is called and Advent Calendar which is the shape of a house and has all the windows that open up to count down to Christmas. Well my sister has always loved that Calendar so I decided to scratch build her one just for her. Took longer than I expected (about 20+ hours of work since everything is all hand build and painted). And actually cost a good bit of money if you can believe that. But I think she will be happy with it when I give it to her for Christmas.

Started out with this....

cal1d.jpg

And ended up with this......

cal2.jpg

The main windows go up to December 23rd and there is room in the opening behind each day to put something like a Hershey kiss or something like that...Then I used double doors on the house for representing both Dec 24th & Dec25th....

cal3v.jpg

Then when you open both doors I mounted a picture of my niece&Nephew on Santa's lap from back when they were little...

cal4w.jpg

cal5.jpg

cal6p.jpg

Steve

Fine piece of work Steve...I'm sure your sister will forgive anything you ever did to her as a kid, after seeing this! :lol:

damn, that's pretty awesome. Nice work Steve, I'm sure she will love it. Looks like you should work with wood more often :D

I guess you finally got that PhD in wood working LMAO nice build bro as if you ever doubted it you know I always liked one of them roll top desks with the drawers on each side want to hook your brother up?

Paul don't make me go into the intricacies of the layering of grain in Balsa wood :lol:

I'll get right on that roll top desk.

I'm still working on the aquarium. With the holidays and some rod orders I haven't had much time to do too much to it lately but should be back on it in a couple weeks or so.

Steve, That is beautiful and thoughtful as well. Did you design it from the movie or did you find some plans somewhere? Either way, great work. B)

Thanks. Mainly just my own design based loosely off the one in the movie.