Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Carver

Fly Boxes

Just currious as to how many fly boxes you guys carry in your vest? I personly carry 3: 1 for dries(my biggest box), 1 for nymphs and streamers, 1 for emergers.

I just read an article in which the author some times carries 18 boxes or more! Personly I think that might be a little extreme, but what do you think?

Whilst steelheading I carry 8 boxes wink.gif My wife, bless her, recently got me a Filson guide vest. It has many, many pockets and even ones for a cell phone and camera.

as few as possible. for trout usually 2 but sometimes a 3rd small one for the iddy biddy flies. Steelhead I usually have 1 or 2 at the most. I allways have big overstock boxes in the truck if I leave too many on the bottom of the stream.

Jim

I usually carry two Orvis boxes, one Wheatley, and 4 Cabela's. The Orvis boxes are subdivisible - I can move the dividers around to hold more/less or bigger/smaller flies, the Wheatley is the two-sided compartmentalized version and I fill it each visit with flies for the water I am visiting, the Cabela's boxs are the small plastic boxes, each a different color and each color has a different type of fly (i.e. nymphs, wet flies, dry's and a load of Gold Rib Hare's Ears).... Can't carry too many in my opinion.

Philski

For saltwater fly fishing, I carry one box; it's all I need. For freshwater, typically 3: one for terrestrials, one for nymphs, one for streamers.

Just two: one drys (small box---maybe 25 or 30 flies) and everything else ( big box---probably 75 bugs).

I am trying to get this stuff down to one medium size shoulder bag. I gave up the vest a couple of years ago: just got too heavy. Way too much stuff. Now and then I feel like I might have left something behind---but I get over it quickly. maybe we should ask how many rods do you take to the river ? ?

Again, two.

tidbit

It depends on the target.

Steelhead fishing it's pretty well set in stone, 3 boxes. At least until I get a better vest!

For trout I've got two vests depending on the plan. For exploring small streams on family vacations that fishing is a side bar I have a William Joseph Coastal pack that has two chest pockets. I'll carry 2-3 boxes but they're fairly small ones.

For normal trips when I'm purely focussed on fishing I've got my Super tackle pack that's loaded to the gills so to speak! biggrin.gif There I usually will carry 6 boxes.

1 nymphs and wets, 1 streamers, 3 various dries and 1 cheap little compartment box of dries sz. 18 and smaller.

Can't go out un-prepared!

My vest and chest pack have the following....

1) streamers

2) nymphs

3) drys

4) wets

5) poppers and misc.

I like to combine backpacking with fly fishing so then its just one, more a mater of reducing space/volume rather then a weight issue.

I carry three main ones for trout. Dry, wet, and a two sided box with flat and rippled foam for dry and wet. Working to cut that down some as our river is such that you can get by with only one or two patterns, depending on the time of the year. My friend carries his tackle in a fanny pack with a few items and two or three plastic snuff cans for flies. BTW, they are great for storing extra flies at home. biggrin.gif