Fly Tying

FTF Fly Challenge: Clouser Minnow

1323183855[/url]' post='484926']

This is a fly I submitted to the fly database several years ago. I submitted it as a "bunny clouser", I guess it can loosely be defined as a clouser...

img402b978ec3524.jpg

Hook: Mustad 3366 size 1

Tail: White Rabbit Strip

Body: White Rabbit Strip from tail palmered. Krystal Flash over the rabbit strip, then topped with bucktail

Weight and Eyes: Lead hour glass with holographic stick on eyes

Head: 5 minute epoxy

I really like this.... A little different twist on one of the greatest fish catching flies ever made, but the color combo with those killer eyes .... That will work.

post-30681-0-82164400-1324401049_thumb.jpg

Here is my submission, a seven inch flashtail clouser. I know technically it is a half n half but the feathers are much thinner than a standard half n half to give a barred look. I have tied in a stinger hook on a hard mason "stick" for short strikes. The flash tail extends about an inch and a half past the termination of the bucktail.

Hi Everyone Merry Holidays. I am new to the fly tying side, have been tying only 1 1/2 months now but her are may first submissions.

Hi Dragon-- your eye placement on those is spot-on, just about as good as it gets. Depending on how they swim and what you want them to do, you could cut your belly material amount in half roughly. There is no "RULE" regarding how much material to use, but this style fly tends to fish very well when tied slim. Although at times when trying to imitate wide-bodied forage such as shad and bluegills, a fuller more flared profile can work well.

Here is one that I had a lot of success on the river smallies. I call it the fire tiger clouser.

post-11501-0-28313800-1324665325_thumb.jpg

Orange on bottom

Chartreuse in middle

Green on top

With a black sharpie, make some hash marks on the body.

hi all heres a simple clouser that i use for pike in the uk the hook is a 6/0 longshank worm hook , the fly itself dosnt resemble any specific baitfish, but could be mistaken for many i have caught largemouths and smallmouths on a trip to the usa on this i think it does well because of its general minnow shape

post-3590-0-35983800-1324724066_thumb.jpg

McFluffer...I really like your pattern. Yes, it does resemble many bait fish in any area that I have been. Great tie

Here is a clouser variation much like mcfluffer's pattern i tied this with a little creativity, i am currently out of eyes so i took a thick paper clip and cut off about 12-15 millimeters (1-1 1/2cm) and i glued some small beads on each end with some Marine Goop and I painted the tips of the beads black.

post-36252-0-67731100-1324958951_thumb.jpg

Here is a clouser variation much like mcfluffer's pattern i tied this with a little creativity, i am currently out of eyes so i took a thick paper clip and cut off about 12-15 millimeters (1-1 1/2cm) and i glued some small beads on each end with some Marine Goop and I painted the tips of the beads black.

post-36252-0-67731100-1324958951_thumb.jpg

thats a great looking fly and top idea

i live in colorado, everbody tells me smaller is better. size 4, almost 4" long. great sucess with many species. i only fish stillwaters,(bad cabin fever no open water now!) my home waters the eyes and smallies at night love this thing!

post-37647-0-94164100-1326125385_thumb.jpg

Here is my submission, a seven inch flashtail clouser. I know technically it is a half n half but the feathers are much thinner than a standard half n half to give a barred look. I have tied in a stinger hook on a hard mason "stick" for short strikes. The flash tail extends about an inch and a half past the termination of the bucktail.

That would be a great large pike and LMB fly.

sorry I missed getting the picture