Fly Tying

Fly Tying Bench - flytire

Flytyer,

What do you use for the background sheet, construction paper? And what do you use to hold it? Actually, the question is open to anyone who would like to respond. I haven't found anything I like, yet.

Thanks,

steve

Spm. If you go into a craft stores in the scrapbooking section they have an endless supply of square papers just find something you like and try it out they are really cheap. Get a dark a light and a neutral color. To hold it you could just stand it up against something.

Great job on order at the bench. i like order, I need order to "govern spatial arrangement and orientation in relation to the flow of energy", also known as feng shui. If I have crap laying out all over the place I get this disjointed feeling that makes me want to go do something else. If I'm using red bucktail then only the red bucktail is out. If I switch to white the red gets put back in its bag and put away before the white comes out. It takes less time to do this then it takes to look for my scissors and I'm subconsciously happy.

And what do you use to hold it?

Thanks,

steve

i repurposed a metal bookend, a couple of clamps and a wooden ruler

i use scrapbooking paper from the craft store in a coffee color, robins egg blue and a very light green

profile_zpshjyktgd4.jpg

Most "paper" has a somewhat shiny surface in bright light.

If you desire a dull, light absorbing surface, you can get large sheets of 2mm craft foam for 99 cents at Michael's.

other stuff on the table

adhesives

bench2_zps01f0d139.jpg

fly holder

bench3_zpsca32d108.jpg

popper paints

bench5_zps70f43107.jpg

long feathers

bench4_zps249ec250.jpg

chinese food take away container trash bin

bench8_zpsb5220b14.jpg

thats it guys

Most "paper" has a somewhat shiny surface in bright light.

If you desire a dull, light absorbing surface, you can get large sheets of 2mm craft foam for 99 cents at Michael's.

actually a lot of the scrapbooking paper (not all) has a matte finish to not distract from what you put on it they have some really cool ones to but foam works great as well if your after a solid backdrop.

Flytyer,

What do you use for the background sheet, construction paper? And what do you use to hold it? Actually, the question is open to anyone who would like to respond. I haven't found anything I like, yet.

Thanks,

steve

I use felt paper in multiple colors.

Kimo

Thanks for all the responses on the background ideas. I will get to the craft stores and see what I can find.

Flytyer, that holder is ingenious; simple but effective.

Thanks again, everyone.

steve

i just ordered a typing paper holder that will replace the ruler/bookend arrangement

the scrapbook paper provided an uncluttered background for tying and photographing flies

it will also provided a smaller footprint on my tying bench

31nBhnT-snL.jpg