Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoeLePaul

Tying Swans...

Hi @ll,

having recently gotten into the "vibe" of tying not for fishing but for images, I was working on a Christmas present for my grandma which turned 80 this year.

I combined her preference for swans and her family, finishing up a picture with the different development stages of swans, depicting her offspring (in moult), grandchildren (starting the moult) and great-grandchildren (down). I used different materials for each of them.

Originally I wanted to tie "birds". Then I thought about what kind of bird could you tie properly with the materials you have for fly-tying? Using hooks as necks, I came up with swans.

Used feather tips - upside down - to depict bills and gold pheasant for the feet.

For the bodies/necks, I used different suites of materials. From top to down: white floss, deer, fox squirrel, mole.

Finishing off with some white duck wings at the top and some ostrich fibers as tails in the third row.

I like the result. What about you people?

Greetings

Joe

post-34697-0-44941500-1323638135_thumb.jpg

That is really funky...quite the unique idea, and well done, too!

That looks really good, a nice personal present. I think it may be even nicer if you could mount the pins the birds are on into small wooden blocks (maybe balsa as it is easy to work with). Perhaps you could drill small holes for the pins and superglue them to the mount?