Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Stocking trout from a helicopter!?!?!?!

I saw this article, http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2011/dec8/dec8_trout.html , on how a river in colombia SC is going to be stocked with trout via helicopter. It seems like it would be better because the fish would be more evenly distributed along the river. Anybody ever heard or seen this happen somewhere else?

When Carter was President, he took up the 'sport'. The Govt stocked his stream from choppers at the Presidential Retreat so he and his guests could catch trout.

Rocco

LOL....Might be done to make the "harvesters" (notice I did NOT say fishermen) work harder. Instead of simply sitting by the drop zone and reeling them in, they have to actually walk/ run up and down the river to keep up with the helo... :lol:

Stocking from small single engine airplanes is an very old technique for getting them into remote areas; much like a crop duster at work.

i agree with the parachute comment, do you think they play flight of the valkyries from the helicopters as the drop them? haha

"Why do you sit on your helmets?" "So we don't get our balls blown off....."

The use a helicopter here in WV to stock the more remote sections of gauley river(summersville tailwaters).

shane

I saw this article, http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2011/dec8/dec8_trout.html , on how a river in colombia SC is going to be stocked with trout via helicopter. It seems like it would be better because the fish would be more evenly distributed along the river. Anybody ever heard or seen this happen somewhere else?

Aircraft have been utilized for stocking in High Sierra lakes...for a very long time...

http://books.google.com/books?id=AuADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=plane+dropping+trout+into+high+sierra+lakes&source=bl&ots=asAbqQFj4b&sig=Cc7vpKR5kBH30TlkJTsluCqFCSA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dbvoToekEaqpiALXifnnAQ&ved=0CFUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=plane%20dropping%20trout%20into%20high%20sierra%20lakes&f=false

PT/TB :rolleyes:

Dropping them out of the helicopter or plane? That can't be very healthy for trout fingerlings...

In the article it says that they lower them in a bucket like thing.

Dropping them out of the helicopter or plane? That can't be very healthy for trout fingerlings...

In the article it says that they lower them in a bucket like thing.

Oh i must have overlooked that...

I was caught by the catchy title of the google books link from Planettrout:

"its raining baby trout!" :lol: