Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Stocking trout from a helicopter!?!?!?!

post-3361-0-99395800-1323918602_thumb.jpg

I have seen it. The river is hard to fish without a boat, canoe or kayak. The river is unique to South Carolina. The water is fairly clear for a SC stream. The river is cool even during the 100 degree summer days. It is the only place I have seen Yellow Perch down here. I have caught 20 inch trout there on a 100 degree June day. There is a tackle shop on the dam of Lake Murray the start of the tailwater. They sell Rainbow Trout to use for bait. Every spring Striped Bass come up to spawn and eat trout. The bass are 20 lbs plus. The bass had to be 21 inches to keep. Now I think it is catch and release bass. The river is fishable for trout from the dam to the Riverbanks Zoo. If you do decide to go be careful, it has class IV white water just above the zoo.

I've done it myself. I did it a few times when I was stationed in Kodiak. The state asked us to do it on remote lakes. Just a cooler full of fish at 40' dumped out the door. I don't have any pics of it as I was busy dumping the fish! Wish I did though.

The article below has a photo.

Columbia, SC is a very populated urban are so you would not think they need a helicopter. Truth is the river is very hard to get to in most spots. There are only about three places with access. The river is not fished privately like some places. There is a really nice park Saluda Shoals Park. Problem is like many rivers below dams, the banks drop off quickly and make wading difficult. I love the river. They also stock a fair number of pigs so the Striper can't eat them. Which I am not sure how many of you have been fishing a size 12 nymph with a 5wt bamboo and has a 20 inch Striper take off. Thank God for backing. OMG and that is a small one.

http://www.southcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=1870

The use a helicopter here in WV to stock the more remote sections of gauley river(summersville tailwaters).

shane

I've heard about that in parts of WV.