Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TitanFlies

Reels for Trout

I have a TFO Pro 3wt and looking to couple it with a Lamson Konic 1.5 but I'm having difficulty pulling the trigger. Is $120 for a trout reel really worth it? Or is it just an over glorified line holder?

The fact is, you do not need any kind of burly reel for your average trout fishing, it is, if nothing else, an expensive line holder. BUT, if you break a couple of cheap reels over the course of time, you might as well have bought a nice reel that you can cherish and watch it get nicked and age. The other reason that expensive reels are a good choice for trout is if you get a sealed drag reel, you don't have to worry about getting crap in the reel if you dunk it, which is a pain if you are out in the middle of nowhere and your reel doesn't work. That's my take on the trout reel debate....

The Konic is awesome. I have four of them. They're just about maintenance free and the nice drag sure comes in handy when you hook into something big.

-Mike

The way I look at it is like this.... If you have the EXTRA cash and spending more money won't cause you any problems, then sure buy a higher dollar reel. Spending money of hobbies to get that "extra cool" thing for a hobby is what makes a good hobby/pastime fun. On the other hand is you really don't care about impressing anyone or having the latest "cool" gadget or money is a concern, then you honestly don't need a high dollar reel on a 3wt.

Steve

Steve has summed it up very well!

My 3 wt gets more use on Bluegill's than anything, but has been used for trout too. It's a custom built rod, and on it is a Cortland Rimfly reel. My 4 wt, also a custom built rod, has an Okuma Sierra reel on it. Both reels have performed well, both are (were for the Rimfly which is no longer made) reasonably priced and have never had any problems with either. The Rimfly is about 15 years old, the Okuma about 6. Any reel you take care of should last a long time, even with the occasional bumps & bruises that fishing reels will inevitably endure.

The definitive answer is that there isn't a definitive answer. ;)

If you're only hooking small-average trout on 4X, odds are the reel and drag will never become much of an issue or a "player." But if you're like me and have a chance hookup with a 17" wild bow on 6X tippet in fast water, the reel and the drag got in the game. That is one trout in several years I can say I had to get on the reel, but that one chance could have been shot if the drag was crap and the tippet busted. I also hooked my personal best largemouth bass on the same 3wt, on 5X tippet, while I was bluegill fishing at a local lake. The drag got a good zing on that one, too, and performed great. Those were two cases in the 4-5 years I have owned the 3wt that I was glad I spent the money for a decent reel. Would a cheap reel have performed well enough to land those fish, too? Probably, but then again, you never know. :)

Do you need it, probably not. Would it be nice to have, probably. Just go with what you want to do and are comfortable with. In the end, that is all that matters.

it is the Whatever Makes You Happy scenario

fishing on wild trout streams for 12 inch and less fish.......certainly won't need the coolest and newest drag system

fishing where you have the potential to tag a 20 inch plus fish, say Penns Creek in Pennsylvania, yeah--you are going to want a nice drag system, although not a necessity, a good drag system is nice to have when a fish is screaming line off your reel.....

I like my Fly Logic reels......

Okuma Air Stream or Cascade is a cheap reel that has a nice sealed drag system and will set you back like 30 bucks......

If the trigger finger is itchy......let it fly.........if you have the cash for it........it will make you happy..........always buy what you can afford...........and be proud of your choice no matter what the guy next to you is fishing with

Hahaha, you know what would make me happy? Catching fish.

http://www.okumafishingteam.com/family/61832

I was looking at this and it looks pretty good for the price. I was wondering though, is the drag sealed? That's pretty much the only criterion I have. I was also looking at an Orvis Battenkill because they look pretty sweet and the brass would look sick with my rig.

Hahaha, you know what would make me happy? Catching fish.

http://www.okumafishingteam.com/family/61832

I was looking at this and it looks pretty good for the price. I was wondering though, is the drag sealed? That's pretty much the only criterion I have. I was also looking at an Orvis Battenkill because they look pretty sweet and the brass would look sick with my rig.

I own three of the Okuma SLV's, they do have a sealed drag, and the drag is surprisingly strong and pretty smooth. They are an excellent value for the price. The only "con" to them is the fact that they are cast. So if you happen to bang one hard enough it will bend/crack. That's not an issue most times, but I did drop one of mine on a tile flood in a motel on a fishing trip one time when I was taking it out of my bag and it bent the spool about 1/4". I bent it back and it's workable but it has a crack where it was bent.

I have MANY reels of various makers from Okuma to Galvan, and of course I like my Galvan, Harris Solitude and couple of my bar stock type reels best, but for the money the SLV series are a great reel.

Steve

In answer to your Battenkill question, they are sealed drag systems. I have a half dozen large arbor Battenkill reels. It was re-designed this year. First I would like to suggest the black over the gold. Sun glinting off my only gold Battenkill cost me a monster bonefish in the Keys this year. Most of the trout water I fish is crystal clear and I don't want to risk reel flash spooking the fish of a lifetime. I prefer large arbor reels because some of the species I target are very fast,maybe something to consider. Are expensive reels critical...no but they are advantageous. Great warranties can also help tip the scales in their favor. My change jar buys me a new fly reel every year. What do you with your nickels, dimes and quarters?

no drag is necessary for trout, just palm them in with a click reel. Once you get to some large char that is where drag is needed ie. lakers, big bulls, some Dvardons. I only use the drag to stop my reel from back spinning and blowing line.