Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club

As promised, I'm going to offer a Bluegill Swap Club for 2012. Members of the swap club will send in a different set of Bluegill flies each month during the year. There is a list, below, of the type of fly that is to be sent in each month. The club will be limited to not more than 13 swappers so that each swapper will send in 12 flies each month. Some of those who joined my "Learn A New Pattern" swap expressed interest in the swap club so I've already added those names to the list. Anyone else wishing to join just needs to reply to this thread with "I'm in" or words to that effect. As you look at the list of the type of fly for each month, you will see that there will be considerable overlap but I'm going to ask that each member send in a different pattern for each month. For instance one month will be for patterns having a bead head and another month will be for patterns with rubber legs. A Red Fox Squirrel Nymph pattern can be tied with both a bead head and rubber legs, but I'm going to ask that if you tie a RFSN for the bead head month, that you tie something different for the rubber leg month. Also I would like to ask that members not send in their flies for January until after January 10 which is the due date for the "Learn A New Pattern" swap which I am running. When you are ready to send in your flies, let me know and I will PM you my address. If you have any questions about the type of fly for each month, feel free to ask. OK, so who wants in?

THIS SWAP IS FULL, BUT I WILL TAKE NAMES FOR A WAITING LIST.

The pattern types for each month will be:

January - Topwater

February - Bead Head

March - Soft Hackle/Wet Fly

April - Orange - Bluegills love the color Orange. Flies must contain at least one material that is orange in color.

May - Terrestrial

June - Peacock Herl

July - Eyes - Bead Chain, Mono Eyes, etc

August - Dubbing

September - Rubber Legs

October - Nymph

November - Foam

December - Your Favorite Bluegill Fly

Members of the swap club will be:

1. Breambuster - SM

2. Riffleriversteelheadslayer

3. Famil00

4. Bluegill576

5. Fly Willy

6. NJ All Day

7. Lukemccoy

8. Dreamcaster4639

9. Andydoc

10. FrequentTyer

11. Fshrmanms

12.Foambug

WAITING LIST

1. Nealbo

THIS SWAP IS FULL! IF ANYONE WANTS TO BE PUT ON A WAITING LIST, LET ME KNOW

breambuster I'm gonna have to decline joing the swap club. right now my schedule for Feb., and March 2012 is going to be pretty hectic and may be on the road quiet a bit. so I think it would better right now to not commit and not be able to fulfill the monthly swaps.

Sorry about this. I'm sure you'll have plenty of others joining up :)

Mike

OK Mickalo. No problem. I understand, and it has been a little while since I first mentioned the Swap Club. I'll look forward to having you swap with again at another time.

Take care

BB

Thx's BB, really sorry I had to drop out. with my line of work my schedule can change from week to week sometimes with little notice.

Good luck with the swap club. :)

Mike

this sounds good to me ...i would like to be in this ..i have only 2 questions date needed to mail...an hook size 10-12-14...ect

As promised, I'm going to offer a Bluegill Swap Club for 2012. Members of the swap club will send in a different set of Bluegill flies each month during the year. There is a list, below, of the type of fly that is to be sent in each month. The club will be limited to not more than 13 swappers so that each swapper will send in 12 flies each month. Some of those who joined my "Learn A New Pattern" swap expressed interest in the swap club so I've already added those names to the list. Anyone else wishing to join just needs to reply to this thread with "I'm in" or words to that effect. As you look at the list of the type of fly for each month, you will see that there will be considerable overlap but I'm going to ask that each member send in a different pattern for each month. For instance one month will be for patterns having a bead head and another month will be for patterns with rubber legs. A Red Fox Squirrel Nymph pattern can be tied with both a bead head and rubber legs, but I'm going to ask that if you tie a RFSN for the bead head month, that you tie something different for the rubber leg month. Also I would like to ask that members not send in their flies for January until after January 10 which is the due date for the "Learn A New Pattern" swap which I am running. When you are ready to send in your flies, let me know and I will PM you my address. If you have any questions about the type of fly for each month, feel free to ask. OK, so who wants in?

The pattern types for each month will be:

January - Topwater

February - Bead Head

March - Soft Hackle/Wet Fly

April - Orange - Bluegills love the color Orange. Flies must contain at least one material that is orange in color.

May - Terrestrial

June - Peacock Herl

July - Eyes - Bead Chain, Mono Eyes, etc

August - Dubbing

September - Rubber Legs

October - Nymph

November - Foam

December - Your Favorite Bluegill Fly

Members of the swap club will be:

1. Breambuster - SM

2. Riffleriversteelheadslayer

3. Famil00

4. Bluegill576

5. Fly Willy

6. NJ All Day

7. BeginnerFlyTyer

Hi Foambug, I tie most of my bluegill flies on either 10 or 12 size hooks. I have heard from others that they tie on size 8 or even larger. I wouldn't go any larger than size 8, but that's personal opinion. Some hooks in size 14 would not be too small on the other end of the spectrum. The due date for each monthly swap will be the last day of the month. I would hope that swappers will try to get their flies in by the last day of the month. I'm thinking about dropping the size of the swap down to 11 swappers instead of 13. That way each swapper will tie 10 flies per month rather than 12. I'm having LOTS of people to look at the swap but not many are signing up for it.

Take care

BB

It would be nice to keep it at 13. That way everyone ties up 12. You get back 144 flies by the end of the year!!!! We are paying the same amount in postage so the more flies the merrier. Just my 2 cents :)

-Forrest

yeah my favorite size is 10 so january flies will be due at the end of december?? or jan? an 12 to 13 flies is not alot..i have participated in swaps that hadup to 25 .so 12 -13 not so bad ...anything past 20 ......very boring .....you keep this club up ...it is a good thing dont git discouraged ...it is dec. ya know folks are doing allllll kinds of things ...

Hi Foambug, I tie most of my bluegill flies on either 10 or 12 size hooks. I have heard from others that they tie on size 8 or even larger. I wouldn't go any larger than size 8, but that's personal opinion. Some hooks in size 14 would not be too small on the other end of the spectrum. The due date for each monthly swap will be the last day of the month. I would hope that swappers will try to get their flies in by the last day of the month. I'm thinking about dropping the size of the swap down to 11 swappers instead of 13. That way each swapper will tie 10 flies per month rather than 12. I'm having LOTS of people to look at the swap but not many are signing up for it.

Take care

BB

Dreamcaster, you're in and thanks for joining.

Foambug, the January flies will be due January 31. For January only, please hold off on mailing your January flies until after January 10, because that's the due date for another swap I'll be running. Since I will be hosting the Swap Club, I won't be hosting any other swaps this year except for the swap club.

Riff, your flies arrived today and they are awesome. So precisely alike. Great job.

Jburge, your flies arrived today also. Great tie! Thanks, and thanks for the extra pattern.

Take care

BB

Andydoc, we will be very happy to have you join us. And it's great that you are using tying to connect with your son. That is something that he will never forget!

Take care

BB

I think I would like to join this. For bluegill I usually tie original patterns or modifications of existing patterns since I enjoy it more and it seems like the 'gills are pretty easy going. So if that's okay, count me in.

For the January flys, does topwater = popper, or is it anything that floats?

Mike.