Fly Tying
CrookedHook

What is Your Fav. Winter Trout Fly

Just thought it would be a good idea, due to the season and all, to get a general census on what your favorite winter trout fly is. Also maybe some pics and short stories on the success.

Thanks

Ill try to post pictures up later, but my favorite is a sort of pink #8 nymph with a split marabou tail with pink dubbing body and that is wrapped with a plastic tubbing and then a bead head. I made it up last winter and it worked great last season and so far this season.

Scud city, all day. Some midge stuff might come in handy from time to time but for me, I tie these hi-viz orange and pink scuds that make for great searching patterns. I find that fish are pretty pooled up in the winter, and you need to cover mad water to find those fantastic spots, and Scuds with a tungsten head on them, super flashy but small (16-20) are dynamite.

not yet but in a month or 2 i like to pull big brown stones and i second Riffle's flashy soft hackles. Anything red JSW, small midge, small blood worms....small anything really

Scud city, all day. Some midge stuff might come in handy from time to time but for me, I tie these hi-viz orange and pink scuds that make for great searching patterns. I find that fish are pretty pooled up in the winter, and you need to cover mad water to find those fantastic spots, and Scuds with a tungsten head on them, super flashy but small (16-20) are dynamite.

How do you present it?

3"-4" long black rabbit strip leech slowly swung through holes and runs.

You got a pic of one of them? Going next week and I would like to tie one and try. Thanks

Our lazy fish love to hunker down and casually slurp a

San Juan worm or a scud but I hate lazy fish so I'm with steeldrifter and I throw the beef. Slower metabolic rates aside, I've had fish charge a big streamer so fast you couldn't out strip it if you tried in weather so cold you have to clear ice in the guides for each cast.

yep, we fish under a dam with big black or white streamers (6"+) for bulls and they slam them HARD!

Fantastic pics Dubbn, what is that area you are fishing there if you don't mind

The only picture with river in it is the White (Colorado) near Meeker Colorado....The other pics are fish from The Gunnison River and Roaring Fork River also here in Western Colorado.

Thank you for the compliment,

Wayne