Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Where can I get Alula Pheasant feathers?

Those are not alula feathers. These are:

alula.jpg

You'll have to buy a pheasant skin or at least the wings, because no one sells just the alula feathers. IF you could find a source in Japan, they would almost certainly cost more per feather than just buying a pair of hen pheasant wings for $4. You'll get one feather per wing. (If it hasn't already been broken off, not all commercially available wings still have them - and I don't think it's because they've been sold separately, because almost no one here knows there is any use for them.)

Also, coloration is going to change from bird to bird.

here is a pic of the type I am looking for off of google

Depending on the size you want, do you have a hungarian partridge skin? Looking at this feather, I'm pretty sure my skin has some that look a lot like that (including texture), and there are more than a few. It won't be exactly the same, but another possibility if you can't find alula feathers.

Deeky

Thanks, riffleriversteelheadslayer for showing the pic that is exactly were I plucked the ones I pictured. Mine were from legally obtained wild ringneck cock pheasants from S.D. some of the smaller wings probably from yearling birds had only one very small alula feather Some of the bigger wings had 2 some had 3 feathers.

Why is this particular feather needed in the first place?

I'm kind've progressive in that I don't think there is any 1 material required for any particular pattern. There are always substitutes. The only real reasons I see for needing one material over another is it being artistic or historical.

I am using them for my kenbane Kebaris and that is the traditional material for them. They are really nice because of their coloration and stiffness of the feather barbs.