Fly Tying

Fly Tying Bench - rockworm

Rockworm, that is one great set up. Do you have plans for the tool holder lying around anywhere. I've been browsing the internet as I'm devoting one room to my fly fishing/tying bench and I am sketching it out with ideas that I like from each set up. That is great.

Rockworm, that is one great set up. Do you have plans for the tool holder lying around anywhere. I've been browsing the internet as I'm devoting one room to my fly fishing/tying bench and I am sketching it out with ideas that I like from each set up. That is great.

I don't have plans lying around but, if I can squeeze it in, I will take a few photos of the rack's components after it is disassembled. I will try to post them here just before I pack my computer.

it does not appear that you will run out of scissors or hackle pliers for quite some time! :lol:

the wire holes are cool also!

Thank you for your kind comments. As I said, I am in the middle of packing up my home and last night I started taking down my tying room. (Sniff.... I think I need a hug...) But I did remember to take some photos of my bench as I disassembled it. For those who might want to use some of its elements in their own construction. Now, if I can find those pics on my computer I will drop them below:

My tool rack intact.

post-12311-0-34755800-1325737738_thumb.jpg

Here the front tray has been slid forward.

post-12311-0-23905900-1325737767_thumb.jpg

Front tray removed.

post-12311-0-50615600-1325737785_thumb.jpg

I have tilted the rear tray forward to show the spools of wire behind.

post-12311-0-02945800-1325737802_thumb.jpg

Here's a closeup of the wire spools showing the pads which press against the spools, keeping the wire taut.

post-12311-0-68499300-1325737822_thumb.jpg

Back tray removed.

post-12311-0-09696900-1325737845_thumb.jpg

Tools removed. (Note 12 inch ruler near bottom.)

post-12311-0-84480700-1325737866_thumb.jpg

Her is an end view. The main block of the tool holder pivots on the upper screw. The screw at the right holds the block at the desired incline. (Note scale.)

post-12311-0-51263900-1325737885_thumb.jpg

View from the front with two of the inserts removed.

post-12311-0-47290300-1325737913_thumb.jpg

A close-up.

post-12311-0-48221400-1325737929_thumb.jpg

View from the bottom.

post-12311-0-44138600-1325737957_thumb.jpg

Maybe my humble tool holder will inspire you to create your own. With adaptations to suit your tying style. I would be pleased to answer any questions. My computer will be the last thing to get unplugged.

We are moving to the west end of the island of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. My kids are thrilled with the winter snow there. I am looking forward to fishing for brookies again.

Thanks for the pics Rockworm! You have some very unique and creative storage ideas that I may just have to borrow as I complete my new tying area over the next few months!!! B)

Good luck with the move - hope it goes smoothly...

Best-

Bob V

Thanks Bob. My two least favourite things are moving and root canals. But I suppose it could be worse. My poor kids are being torn from their school and their friends and being plopped into a culture where the French language reigns supreme. What is it they say: Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger? I look forward to being settled again...

That is an awe-inspiring set-up, Bruce. Thanks for sharing all of the detailed photos. I am gathering ideas from all of the benches people have been posting. I have a room that I can set up as I wish for fly tying and hope to have it up and running by this spring. The only drawback is it is in the basement and it can be quite chilly in there in the winter. It will be most pleasant in the heat of summer, however, and tucked away from the hurly-burly of the household. :)

John

For the last 10 years my tying room has been in the basement where the cool air settles. But I have 4 lights over my vise and they warm the room very nicely once they are turned on.

I would have to agree with everyone, this makes me think I should get out into the garage and do some copying of your design! THanks for sharing