Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Wing cases

I have been using the cinamon turkey feathers for wing cases on flies like the ptn and the grhe, I was originally just painting the feathers with some head cement and that was okay, but some one recommended that I paint it with clear spray paint but when you bend them over to make the wing case, they look all white and crusty. What do you use to keep the feather fibers together?

When I am tying turkey tail feather wingcases I regularly use one of the Krylon sprays. But you can also apply a drop of epoxy (or one of the light-activated products) to the wingcase after you have tied it. I find this especially useful for nymphs smaller than size #14.

I apply thin flexament with a small brush to the dull-side of the feather. It wicks completely through the feather and you must let it completely dry- don't use for a couple hours or so. This leaves the feather looking "original" but much more durable yet very flexible.

What JS says does work quite well. However, you can spray both sides of a feather in a fraction of the time it takes to coat with flexament, as, typically, you are working with just the case 'slip' when applying the flexament. By spraying the whole feather, both sides, right 'out-of-the-bag', the slips are already coated before you cut them out for use.

I apply thin flexament with a small brush to the dull-side of the feather. It wicks completely through the feather and you must let it completely dry- don't use for a couple hours or so. This leaves the feather looking "original" but much more durable yet very flexible.

I'm with you on this, in the past we used tuffilm (spelling?) Its used to spray over charcoal/pencil drawings, to keep them from smearing

What JSzy says is quite true, and it does work quite well; but, in my experience, most individuals coat the slips after they cut them from the feather for use, which can be quite time consuming, and you need to wait for the Flexament to dry. You can spray both sides of the feather 'right-out-of-the-bag' in just a matter of seconds, and the Krylon material is almost "instant" drying. Doing it this way you have coated slips when you cut them from the feather.

Try spraying the feather with clear Krylon on the underside of the feather only. Not on the brightly colored side. See how that works.

I have been using Brumbackers Tuff film for about twenty years. I just spray the dull side and it's off to the tying table. I have also used Elmer's Craft Bond spray adhesive, it works well also and is easier to find. Both of the Brumbackers and Elmer's remain flexable so you can bend the fibers with out them tearing apart.

What JSzy says is quite true, and it does work quite well; but, in my experience, most individuals coat the slips after they cut them from the feather for use, which can be quite time consuming, and you need to wait for the Flexament to dry. You can spray both sides of the feather 'right-out-of-the-bag' in just a matter of seconds, and the Krylon material is almost "instant" drying. Doing it this way you have coated slips when you cut them from the feather.

I do the whole feather, but then I've never been accused of being like most individuals.