Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

blending dubbing

It works great for the long dubbing I've been trying to figure how to blend. I used a plastic 1 gallon ice cream tub and my air compressor. I made a hole in the snap on lid to insert the air blower tip in to; first attempt, I blew the lid right off and dubbing went all over in to the air! I then got a nail, heated it up and poked a bunch of pressure releasing holes in the lid; works fine now.

Kirk

ive seen one version online somewhere that incorporates a regular zip lock baggie and a can of compressed air. he inserted the dubbing into the baggie and punctured it numerous times to let some air escape while the dubbing gets mixed.

ive seen one version online somewhere that incorporates a regular zip lock baggie and a can of compressed air. he inserted the dubbing into the baggie and punctured it numerous times to let some air escape while the dubbing gets mixed.

The "other" video, featuring the plastic bag, was done by Juan Ramirez:

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/11/21/mixing-your-own-dubbing-by-juan-ramirez/

Juan is also known as:

http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com/

...goldfish bowls aside, the technique, as far as I can determine, was developed by that usual suspect - Charlie Craven

PT/TB :lol:

This morning I stopped off at AC Moore's and bought a small round glass bowl for a $1.99, then next door to Staples a for the compressed air $8.99 (smaller one for $3.99).

DSCN8872.jpg

I will post my test results, if it works as well as the video shows.

FOR SALE one slighly used coffee grinder....

I use a coffee grinder with a two tiered blade set up. I have zero problems with it. Best part is it doesnt run out of air. As Frequent pointed out you gotta pulse.

I use a coffee grinder and have no problems.. either way is fine. If you are blending already sized dubbing you may grind it finer in a coffee grinder if you aren't quick on the pulse button.

As for keeping mixes one of the following images shows how I keep my dubbing blends. I have three of these containers.

The other photo shows a resource for natural wool roving at JoAnn's for, I think, $1.5 a package of 5" x 3" x 2". This is all the selection my JoAnn's had, if you can't custom mix a color with these... well, you have a problem. Adding in texture such as furs late in the blend is a snap.

I use this most of the time and often mix in various furs and dubbing materials I have purchased from commercial providers. The containers are numbered and I use an MS Excel sheet to track what mixture forumla I have in what compartment. As fate has it under control this is a picture of my worst selection... shrugg...oh well.

To not "wind it around the blades" in a grinder, use short pulses and pause to let it stop whriling between pulses. You have to do this to look at the progress anyway.

To not melt synthetics.... if you use short pulses.. you WON'T. Never just hold down the button on any dubbing mix.. you need to stop and see how it is doing a few times. You will NOT melt any of them if you use this method!!!

You can pick up a coffee grinder from a selection at Wallymart for $20 or less.. I paid under $16 brand new.... and it does an amazing job of it.

post-34916-0-05009600-1324679146_thumb.jpg

post-34916-0-91854100-1324679162_thumb.jpg