Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tier Gone Mad

Articulated Flies

Good Evening,

Since I am fairly new to FTF I was wondering how many of you out there tie Articulated Flies?

If so, is there a particular one you pull from your box?

What fish do you target?

What type of material do you use to connect the two sections?

If you tie Articulated Flies do you typically leave both hooks, cut one of the hooks, or

possibly use some of the new products out there?

Just Curious,

Tier Gone Mad------------------------------------<*))))))))><

What type of material do you use to connect the two sections?

Two sections? LOL I tie flies with three and four segments for muskies. I use them extensively. I use 65# braided steel to join the segments and I leave all the hook points intact, up to the legal limit of three, depending on the length of the pattern I'm tying.

post-30681-0-99804000-1324959876_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-72805600-1324959922_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-00498200-1324959966_thumb.jpg

Here are just a couple of examples in varying sizes, materials and targeted species that I use regularly. It seems that many articulated flies are tied with beads. These are examples of unbeaded flies. In most of these cases materials are tied on the shank that connects the rear hook to the front hook, necessary when using shorter materials to span greater lengths. The flies pictured here range from two to twelve inches. Most of the time all hooks will be intact but with fish that aren't shy in how they eat, I will often tie my rear section without the hook for added movement. I use articulated flies for everything from bluegills to billfish and virtually every species in between from fresh to salt. Some of the materials pictured here are marabou, mallard flank, woodduck flank, any hackle, polar bear, rabbit, bucktail, Puglesi fibers and craft fur. Almost any materiel can be used to create an effective articulated fly, limited only by your imagination and what the fish are eating. Contact me if you would like me to send you a step by step photo gallery of how I tie them.

This is my hula damsel.

huladam.gif

I use it when the damsel nymphs migrate to shore on an

intermediate line for trout. Other species have been

known to bite such as bass and tiger muskie.

The 2 hooks are connected with fluorocarbon tippet and the rear hook is cut off.

The rear hook is a Daiichi 1110 with its oversized eye.

Mahalo,

Kimo

Most of mine have both hook points on. The connection I like is 7 strand Beadalon. The bead count depends on the length I want. Atriculated flies are my go to fly.

Kevin

big questions with different answers from every province and state. I like mono or nylon braid for my small damsels (great vid Kimo) and spyder line and knot-able cable for the larger bull/brown patters. I like to use the 2 beads between to help prevent them from folding over.

I use them for bull trout, big bow river drowns, and pellet fed pig rainbows lol.

i also tie maol leaches to 1/8 oz jig heads to make 6-12" flies/lures for bulls in those impossible deep pools

Thanks for all the replies on my Articulated Flies Topic.

I too use them whenever I can.

I noticed one of you mentioned a Bluegill Articulated Fly, I'd

love to see a pic of that one & tying instructions, if you'd share.

thanks again,

Tier Gone Mad--------------------------<*))))))))><

This is my hula damsel.

huladam.gif

The 2 hooks are connected with fluorocarbon tippet and the rear hook is cut off.

Mahalo,

Kimo

Love the fly. How in the world did you make that turning picture thing?

I tie all of the Kelly Galloup and Rich Strolis pattern flies, plus my own creations. I target trout with articulated and double articulated beats, but you'll catch anything in the river system with them: trout, small mouth bass, chain pickeral, etc.

This is my hula damsel.

huladam.gif

Mahalo,

Kimo

Love the fly. How in the world did you make that turning picture thing?

bluegill576,

It is just series of 72 pictures rotated around one point. I just moved the abdomen every time I took a picture.

Then I loaded all 72 pictures as layers in an animated gif.

Glad you liked it

Kimo

I tied my first articulating fly about 40 years ago. The materials available back then were very limited compared to what's available now. It was tied with a body of marabou palmered around the hook in about 3 sections, between short sections of black chenille, and a tail of marabou. 2 Mustad 3366 2/0 hooks were used, connected together with black 30lb braided dacron. The front was finished with a collar of a few wraps of wide, webby saddle hackle or schlapen. I tied it in only 2 color combinations, all black, and a black & blue (hackle collar) combination, and used them for bass. Worked pretty well. It's been a long time since I've tied any like that, and now there are much better patterns I think.

With the many materials & techniques now being used, it's renewed my interest in this style of fly. The folks who tie them for Steelhead have many great looking patterns, and I've taken notice, particularly the ones tied with rabbit strips! I've even bought a few to see how they're tied. I know they'll work as well for bass! :D