Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

003/109 1st attempt of Coppef John

My third fly...a Copper John, but I couldn't make it....learn why at wwww.besidemyroad.com

Thanks!!!

Oscar

post-36075-0-29842100-1325091369_thumb.jpg

Nice blog, you'll get there. Having the wrong materials makes a tough job impossible.

As far as hook conversation goes, I am a fan of many different companies for different purposes. First, always barbless. Aside from ethical reasona about reducing fish fatalities, they stick fish better, and don't get hung up in nets/clothing/body parts nearly as much. I like many brands, Tiemco, Dohiku, Trout Legend *great value competition style barbless hooks*, Hanak, Knapeks, even Mustad. If you want a bargain barbed hook, talk to Justin at Allen Fly FIshing, much better than Daichi from my experience.

Pick up some Ultra Wire and you'll be on your way to mastering this pattern with ease. If you don't have the book Barr Flies, John Barr suggests a Tiemco 5262 hook, which is a 2xl hook, and is 2x heavy. Good luck.

Ultra wire is KING! I like the small and medium for my Copper Johns. I find that Br is too small and it looks lumpy when layed down over the biots and thread.

copper john is a pretty darn complicated fly to do if it is only your third fly... everyone is different, but I advocate mastering the basics with "easy" patterns before moving on to more difficult stuff. A very smooth underbody is the key to a nice wire overwrap. Practice tying a bunch of brassies to get the hang of it.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing. The Copper John is such a cool fly and a lot of fun to tie, I don't blame you for trying; that's a very good start by the way! It might take you a few dozen more hooks to get the hang of it if you're jumping right into the more complex flies but you'll get the hang of it after a while no doubt. The hardest part on the CJ is the biot tails, the tapering, and just having the right materials. I found the only way to get desirable results is if you use the TMC 5262 it will make the fly look most proportionate. Also, the wire. Size 12 use medium. Size 14 use Brassie. Size >16 use Small (with UTC wire Brassie is slightly bigger in diameter than small). Weight the fly with ~10 wraps of .015 lead and that should give you a nice taper given that you smooth taper of thread. After all that it's pretty much a cake walk and just like a pheasant tail nymph.

tl;dr: It's a good start, the right materials are important.

Nice blog, you'll get there. Having the wrong materials makes a tough job impossible.

As far as hook conversation goes, I am a fan of many different companies for different purposes. First, always barbless. Aside from ethical reasona about reducing fish fatalities, they stick fish better, and don't get hung up in nets/clothing/body parts nearly as much. I like many brands, Tiemco, Dohiku, Trout Legend *great value competition style barbless hooks*, Hanak, Knapeks, even Mustad. If you want a bargain barbed hook, talk to Justin at Allen Fly FIshing, much better than Daichi from my experience.

Pick up some Ultra Wire and you'll be on your way to mastering this pattern with ease. If you don't have the book Barr Flies, John Barr suggests a Tiemco 5262 hook, which is a 2xl hook, and is 2x heavy. Good luck.

Hello!!!!

Yes, Allen Fly Fishing is where I got my hooks and honestly, they're really good quality so far. I always pinch my barbs with the vise...is how I learn to do it, maybe is another way to do it...

Thank you for come to my blog. hope see you around. Do you know a good supplier for bead heads??? I'm looking for one but not sure. Thanks!

Tomorrow I'll post my new result, i have the right materials today.

oscar, follow this tutorial and you shouldn't have any problems

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/print.cfm?parentID=17

copper wire of the right diameter for the size fly you are tying will work

Hello!!

wowwwww...you have nice tutorials! I'm glad to see it. Tomorrow I'll post my post my results...with the right materials!

Thanks!!

Oscar

Ultra wire is KING! I like the small and medium for my Copper Johns. I find that Br is too small and it looks lumpy when layed down over the biots and thread.

Yes!!! hahaha I found it out today...I'll be using medium wire tomorrow in my new fly.

thanks!

Oscar

copper john is a pretty darn complicated fly to do if it is only your third fly... everyone is different, but I advocate mastering the basics with "easy" patterns before moving on to more difficult stuff. A very smooth underbody is the key to a nice wire overwrap. Practice tying a bunch of brassies to get the hang of it.

Hello!

Yes, is not that easy, but I'll try it again tomorrow with the right materials. I made one to show but like 5 to practice. Did you have some advice from a person? or Do you have some book? something to suggest me?

Thank you!

Oscar

I'd say keep doing what you're doing. The Copper John is such a cool fly and a lot of fun to tie, I don't blame you for trying; that's a very good start by the way! It might take you a few dozen more hooks to get the hang of it if you're jumping right into the more complex flies but you'll get the hang of it after a while no doubt. The hardest part on the CJ is the biot tails, the tapering, and just having the right materials. I found the only way to get desirable results is if you use the TMC 5262 it will make the fly look most proportionate. Also, the wire. Size 12 use medium. Size 14 use Brassie. Size >16 use Small (with UTC wire Brassie is slightly bigger in diameter than small). Weight the fly with ~10 wraps of .015 lead and that should give you a nice taper given that you smooth taper of thread. After all that it's pretty much a cake walk and just like a pheasant tail nymph.

tl;dr: It's a good start, the right materials are important.

Hello!

Great info that you share with me. About the lead wire, Do you have a chart to do it? I mean, how do you know which wire use with x hook? Is there a chart? also with the bead heads, how do I know what bead head use with lead wire? if you have something like that, Please, Could share with me? my email is [email protected]

So, size 12, medium wire

Size 14, Brassie

Thank you! I'm giving my best to learn about all this stuff, that's is why I'm sharing my results.

Oscar

Lead wire to hook size doesn't exactly have a ratio, you just gotta kinda eyeball it. However on a TMC 5262 a size .015 lead wire is perfect. Also, a 3/32 size bead is ideal for size 14-16 hooks.

Lead wire to hook size doesn't exactly have a ratio, you just gotta kinda eyeball it.

LEAD WIRE TO HOOK SIZING CHART

Weight: Lead wire, sized appropriately for the hook.

.035- hook sizes 4 and bigger

.030-hook sizes 6 and 4

.025-hook sizes 6 through 10

.020-hook sizes 12 and 14

.015-hook sizes 14 and 16

.010-hook sizes 18 and smaller

flytire that lead wire chart is very good info to have on a beginners desk,or anybody's desk for that matter, thanks for posting.

Hello!!!!

Yes, Allen Fly Fishing is where I got my hooks and honestly, they're really good quality so far. I always pinch my barbs with the vise...is how I learn to do it, maybe is another way to do it...

Thank you for come to my blog. hope see you around. Do you know a good supplier for bead heads??? I'm looking for one but not sure. Thanks!

Tomorrow I'll post my new result, i have the right materials today.

the place where i get my beads is kind of like the allen fly fishing of beads. They have great prices and quite good quality. 100 brass beads for $4. Here is the link http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/category/brass-fly-tying-beads/catId=3875453