Fly Tying
bluegill576

Weekly Fly Tying Contest #4

So I waited a couple days to post this because I know a lot of people including me have been busy with family over the holidays, but here it is. You must post a picture of the fly half way done, a picture of the finished fly, the name of the fly, and the recipe by Saturday, 10pm est. The category for this week will be your favorite emerger pattern. good luck.

So I waited a couple days to post this because I know a lot of people including me have been busy with family over the holidays, but here it is. You must post a picture of the fly half way done, a picture of the finished fly, the name of the fly, and the recipe by Saturday, 10pm est. The category for this week will be your favorite emerger pattern. good luck.

I don't really fish emergers so I don't tie them either. That's ok though - it may inspire me. (I used to think soft hackles were stupid with so little materials, but I have come to love the sparseness and the challenge of keeping them so "dainty.")

C'mon guys don't make me be the only entry...

Thanks

I don't really fish emergers so I don't tie them either. That's ok though - it may inspire me. (I used to think soft hackles were stupid with so little materials, but I have come to love the sparseness and the challenge of keeping them so "dainty.")

C'mon guys don't make me be the only entry...

Thanks

you should try one. There are some that are pretty similar to dry flies. Just google it.

Emergers are very productive patterns Sukhoidave. So to encourage you to try tying one, I'll jump in and post an entry:

This is a pattern I'm calling the peacock and muskrat klinkhammer. It uses a technique I have been playing with where you rib the peacock with thread that has been touch dubbed with muskrat and then brush it out. It makes a nice buggy look and in the water it creates a nice shuck-like halo around the fly. Comments on this would be appreciated.

Peacock and Muskrat Klinkhammer

Hook: JStockard multi use 430 #16 bent to shape

Thread: Brown Griffith 14/0 sheer

Abdomen: Peacock herl

Rib: Thread touch dubbed with muskrat and brushed out after wrapping

Hackle: Brown dry fly

Thorax: 50/50 mix black rabbit and olive hares mask

The first picture has the post and abdomen complete and you can see the rib dubbed and ready to wrap:

PeacockMuskratKlink_halfway.JPG

And the finished fly:

PeacockMuskratKlink.JPG

Ok. here's a classic pattern from "Tying Flies with Jack Dennis and Friends" that I have been playing around with.

Parachute Midge Emerger

Hook: Tiemco 2488 #16

Thread: UTC GSP white 50 denier

Body: Here I have used one red and one white strand of Wapsi Supreme Hair

Body then coated with Loon's UV Clear Fly Finish

Wing: White Poly

Hackle: Dun

123011pme1.jpg

123011pme2.jpg

This is going to be a hard week to vote..

that's always good. Hopefully we will still get a couple more before it ends tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I used the same method today over a spanflex body to make a version of the chunky caddis and it worked really well.

Eaglerapids, that is a very nice fly!