Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

003/109 2nd attempt

Hello Everyone!

I just want to share my second attempt to make the Copper John, I think look fine.

Thank you!!

Oscar

post-36075-0-26796500-1325188936_thumb.jpg

Oscar, you are going to be just fine, Your attention to detail and natural talent will lend you well, Great tie , but maybe you could reduce your photo to say 600/800 megapixels, photo takes up whole screen, having said this, this size photo will show any defects easily and is a great way to study your fly for future tying, This ones needs nothing , except to be fished, Great JOB

Bruce

Oscar, you are going to be just fine, Your attention to detail and natural talent will lend you well, Great tie , but maybe you could reduce your photo to say 600/800 megapixels, photo takes up whole screen, having said this, this size photo will show any defects easily and is a great way to study your fly for future tying, This ones needs nothing , except to be fished, Great JOB

Bruce

Hello Bruce!

Thank you!! yes...I can see that my photos are quite big, I'll reduce it tomorrow for my next pattern. I have a challenge, that is get tie 109 flies. This is my third one and really, is kind of great thing because I feel very comfortable with the tools, as you say I feel like something that I have been doing for all my life, but no!This is my third fly in my life....and I have 0 experience in fly fishing, I'm learning all about.

Thank you Bruce, I'm glad you like it and I'm glad you can see in my big pictures all the details..hahaha

Thanks!

Oscar

Haha I knew you'd get the hang of it fast, you're first attempt was a really good one! Just keep doin' what you're doing and learn the Humpy for a dry fly and use the CJ and Humpy as a dry-dropper rig. Keep up the good work, man!

Haha I knew you'd get the hang of it fast, you're first attempt was a really good one! Just keep doin' what you're doing and learn the Humpy for a dry fly and use the CJ and Humpy as a dry-dropper rig. Keep up the good work, man!

Thank you!!! I'm very happy with my results so far! I have 106 flies left to tie before the season 2012 arrive, that's my challenge! Tomorrow I'll share another pattern with you, hope see you around to let me know what you think. The feedback is really helpful.

Thanks! have a good one.

Oscar

Osedma,

Nice tie, the progression is great. Let me, a relatively new tier give you some advice.

Watch the temptation of your tying sessions, to switch from one pattern to the next one after another. If you sit down to tie a particular pattern, for whatever time you are going to tie that day, ONLY tie that pattern. This eliminates wasted time by having to change materials, and it also increases your consistency and speed. By tying multiples of each fly in a session, you will get a better idea of what is involved in that pattern, and your fly box will fill up faster.

I started tying just over one year ago, and I wish someone would have told me this because much time was wasted tying 1 of this, and then 1 of that.

For your third fly that is outstanding!

109 flies seem like such an arbitrary number. Is there a reason for setting that as your goal?

Osedma,

Nice tie, the progression is great. Let me, a relatively new tier give you some advice.

Watch the temptation of your tying sessions, to switch from one pattern to the next one after another. If you sit down to tie a particular pattern, for whatever time you are going to tie that day, ONLY tie that pattern. This eliminates wasted time by having to change materials, and it also increases your consistency and speed. By tying multiples of each fly in a session, you will get a better idea of what is involved in that pattern, and your fly box will fill up faster.

I started tying just over one year ago, and I wish someone would have told me this because much time was wasted tying 1 of this, and then 1 of that.

Hello H Dot Verseman

You're right! I was trying to do different patterns in the same the firs two days, but now I'm working in just one pattern,I wrote my review about how the instruction from the book work for me, Actually I'm learning with a book named "The benchside introduction to Fly Tying".

This week I'm off the office, so at first time in the morning, I'm tying two of the same pattern, write the review and after that, I'm going fishing at the bow river....the weather in Calgary,AB is really nice these days...so..

I'm have been doing this just for two months now. I have a blog where I'm documenting my passion about fishing, but for regulations I cannot link it here :(

Thanks, hope see your though about my new fly tomorrow.

Cheers!

Oscar

109 flies seem like such an arbitrary number. Is there a reason for setting that as your goal?

Hello Oldtrout58!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm doing a Challenge,my challenge is get tie all the flies at the book "The benchside introduction to fly tying" and this book has 109 different patterns. Also, I'm writing a blog, but I cannot link it here because forum's regulations :( But I'm happy sharing just the photos to see what all of you think about.

Thank you!

Oscar

Hope see

That looks really good. Better than my first CJs. I too am curious as why you picked 109 patterns.

Hello Chris V

hahaha my curiosity about fly tying, make me do a Challenge, I'm learning with a book named "The benchside introduction to fly tying", this book has 109 patterns and when I bought this book, I just wanted to make all the flies...so I start my own CHALLENGE 109, is how I called it....I'm very happy doing all the flies, learning and sharing my passion with all of you. I have a website, in my first post I have shared the link but I cannot do it for regulations here. So, I just prefer share my photos and maybe get some feedback from you.

Thank you Chris V. I'm happy that you spent some time writing me

Oscar

Hello Oldtrout58!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm doing a Challenge,my challenge is get tie all the flies at the book "The benchside introduction to fly tying" and this book has 109 different patterns. Also, I'm writing a blog, but I cannot link it here because forum's regulations :( But I'm happy sharing just the photos to see what all of you think about.

Thank you!

Oscar

Hope see

I think it would be fine for you to post a link. I know a bunch of other people do it.

Hello Oldtrout58!

Thank you!

Oscar

Hope see

That's a wonderful book to learn from.

After seeing your initial attempts, I dare say that after you master those 109 flies you'll be a better fly tyer than most of us! Good on you.

Oh, and I love the Bow River, I'm jealous.

Hello Oldtrout58!

Thank you!

Oscar

Hope see

That's a wonderful book to learn from.

After seeing your initial attempts, I dare say that after you master those 109 flies you'll be a better fly tyer than most of us! Good on you.

Oh, and I love the Bow River, I'm jealous.

hahaha yes, The bow river is amazing, yesterday I caught a brown, it was around 20", really nice, the good thing about is that I was in the shore when I saw the fish coming to my fly and just....bangggggggggggg that was great! hahahaha

I hope after 109 flies I can speak at the same level of all you, you're really masters with all those years in the fly fishing world...I have been fishing since I was 13, now I'm 27 and this is my first time with a fly rod and my first time with a vise and all this stuff.

Hope see you around. Thank you for take a minutes to write me.

Oscar