Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

shrimp and crab

IMG_0001.jpg

DSCF4367.jpg

DSCF4374.jpg

Here's the SBS I promised.

You can use a variety of hooks, the shorter the shank the crabier it gets. the hite is tied on a Gamakatsu #1 octopus hook.

IMG_0113.jpg

This one will be on a Gami B10S #2

IMG_0148.jpg

Tie in fur

IMG_0149.jpg

Make eyes, easier than mono and a bead...fish don't seem to care. I use CCG to stiffen the string.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Tie in flash, legs & eyes

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Tie in hackle and dubbing...as with any material in this post feel free to substitute anything...I use whatever strikes me at the moment.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Palmer hackle towards eye, I used two on this one and add dubbing...wasn't happy with the body hackle...will still fish the same :lol:

IMG_0164.jpg

Fini... When wet it'll look same as above

IMG_0166.jpg

Sweet flies Dave. The green one is a thing of beauty. Is the crab fly weighted at all?

Nice flies. I love them all, but the first one is my favorite because I might actually be able to make one similar to it.

Both shrimp are the same and easy to to tie...carft fur, plastic bead chain eyes and some hackle. The crab is figure eight congo, red chanille and a zonker strip for claws.

Will post an SBS next day or so...one or two and you'll have it mastered.

Sweet flies Dave. The green one is a thing of beauty. Is the crab fly weighted at all?

Thanks Andy, the crab has medium bead chain under the last of the fiber next to the eye. Weather here has been stellar for afternoon fishing, how's things in your neck of the woods?

Nice ties. I will try one of the shrimp in a dark color while I am here in NSB.

Why did you choose the greenish and whitish colors for the Shrimp? Very nice ties!

Probably to have options when fishing incase they dont want another color. Chartreuse is a great color (atleast around here) to use even though its un-natural. But ill let Panama speak for himself. Nice ties panama! Likin the crab a lot!

Why did you choose the greenish and whitish colors for the Shrimp? Very nice ties!

Probably to have options when fishing incase they dont want another color. Chartreuse is a great color (atleast around here) to use even though its un-natural. But ill let Panama speak for himself. Nice ties panama! Likin the crab a lot!

Ifly pretty much nailed it... many times it's not the accurate recreation of bait, rather more about attractors that can mimic several species in the area and color contrast.

I've had great luck with chartuese and black / purlpe and black finger mullet imitations. Fishing great Lefty Kreh once said, "if it ain't chartuese...It ain't no use"... In our area electric chicken is a big favorite .

Pictures to follow....

thank you for the great response! I fish long island sound waters in NY and have never fished down south! I am dieing to get down there with my fly rod to tackle anything that has a tail! Thanks for the great tips! Excellent ties!

Nice flies. I love them all, but the first one is my favorite because I might actually be able to make one similar to it.

Both shrimp are the same and easy to to tie...carft fur, plastic bead chain eyes and some hackle. The crab is figure eight congo, red chanille and a zonker strip for claws.

Will post an SBS next day or so...one or two and you'll have it mastered.

Thanks Andy, the crab has medium bead chain under the last of the fiber next to the eye. Weather here has been stellar for afternoon fishing, how's things in your neck of the woods?

I haven't had the chance to get out in a couple of weeks up here but last time I got out fishing was pretty good, lots of big trout out there. I did get out in the Indian River down south last week but it was a bit slow as a front had just blown through. With this cold spell the trout should be pushing into the rivers now and off the flats. I hope to get out in the next week or so.

Those are some awesome patterns. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who goes to craft stores in search of awesome fly tying materials

Those are some awesome patterns. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who goes to craft stores in search of awesome fly tying materials

I find myself in craft stores often for stuff like foam and bead chain eyes and always feel im being eyed, but nothing beats searching down the nail polish aisle for Salley Hansons Hard as Nails :unsure: