Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Just messin

Interesting. Don't have a macro lens for my Canon Rebel EOS T2i. Took off the 18-55mm lens, turned it around and held it against the camera body lens mount. Focused by moving the camera back and forth. Rather awkward. Think I'll save up for a macro lens.

Before you go spending what Canon wants for lens to fit the new DSIR's...try this...macro extension tubes. Then you are only out a few dollars and can use the existing lenses. You can also get a conversion ring for the camera body and use the old Canon lenses...you just have to do everything manually...again the old lenses are cheaper than the new ones (think pawn shops) and you actually have a lot more control over the pic doing it manually...

Thanks. I thought about extension tubes, but always thought you lost too much light thru the lens using them. Also say a single lens that attaches to the front of the kit lens the same way a lens cap does - by grasping the inside threaded rim of the lens. Also pretty cheap, but the sample pixs were pretty good.

Was a bit into photography years ago. The basic methods haven't changed much, but the equipment sure has! Really interested in macro; would like to be able to take photos of bugs eyes, etc. Still a lot to learn about the image management on the computer.

Thanks for the advice, will certainly look into the tubes and the used lens.

Got a set of extension tubes - WOW! Been having a ball using them. Too bad it's winter; not many bugs to annoy. But my fly pics sure look a lot better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been looking to get some extension tubes for my Nikon, so I'm glad to hear that you are liking them. Can you post up a pic or two of a fly taken with the tubes in place. I just picked up some of the Holga lenses and can't wait to try them out as well.

Here's a couple. Camera is a Canon Rebel ti2, EFS 18-55mm zoom lens. Extension tubes are Fotodiox, about $11 (beats many, many times that for a Macro lens). I'm no photo expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm very happy with it. Can hadrly wait for Spring so I can annoy some bugs.Now to work on lighting and composition.post-4211-0-42639200-1326052911_thumb.jpgpost-4211-0-42639200-1326052911_thumb.jpg

post-4211-0-58781800-1326052748_thumb.jpg

post-4211-0-31729700-1326052817_thumb.jpg