Fly Tying
planettrout

For those who tie "TINY"...

I like the uni-caenis. I can tie in breathers on midge larvae and still slip a tiny silver-lined glass bead head on. I can't do so with thicker thread on the hooks I prefer using.

I see they have stomach thread(?), I'd like to know what that is.

i use 8/0 for breathers on buzzers. 2 wraps of thread and slide the bead over the butt ends. wrap the thread over the bead and finish tying the fly.

if you look at the chart on the website it gives you each threads breaking strength

I remember thinking 8/0 was small! Now I'm using 14/0 on a lot of stuff. I can't imagine using anything smaller without getting my bifocals upgraded.

and what in the world is "stomach thread??

Maybe it is to build up an under body (abdomen = stomach)?

I used Guderbrod (sp?) 45 denier... it might be equivalent to 14/0? No clue, the ought system is weird. But damn it might me my favorite thread even thought I only have it in grey - still looks okay on most flies though.

From the source:

Stomach Thread:

"The main function of it, is to help you build up a nice body, fast. However, the stomach thread has a few other functions that will make your work a lot easier. We hope to have some videos ready within a few weeks where we will show - What it can be used for, and How."

VEEVUSSTOMACHTHREAD-1-.jpg

PHOTO BY: Finn Jensen

Here are some comparative breaking strengths (straight pull) from Veevus:

“For those interested who are interested, we compared the breaking-strength for the veevus threads with UNI and Benecchi.”

uni 6/0 = around 930g

veevus 6/0 = above 1kg

uni 8/0 = around 450g

veevus 8/0 = above 1kg

benecchi 10/0 = around 650g

veevus 10/0 = around 800g

benecchi 12/0 = around 450g

veevus 12/0 = around 530g

veevus 14/0 = around 520g

veevus 16/0 = around 430g

...and these two guys tie with the 10/0 product:

The "HOT SPOT" in the second video is Datum "Glo-Brite" Floss which is distributed in the US by Hareline...

More will be revealed...

PT/TB ;)

If the 14/0 breaking strength is as high as it claims I may have to order some and give it a shot. Sounds like great stuff.

Does anyone know if this is a "bonded" thread like Uni or can it be split? The strength to size seems very good.

Per the website, they do not sell to individuals, so where can we buy this super thread?

http://veevus.dk/en/content/6-retailers <These are the listed retailers. Only problem is my icelandic languages have become a little rusty.

Just for laughs type "For those who tie "Tiny"" into Google. You have been busy planettrout :), ou also have some nice midges on your blog.