Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyer166

dubbing dry flies

hi all,

im having a hard time understanding the concept of tapering a dubbed dry fly body, for all i work with is poly yarns and deer hair for dry flies. does anybody have anything that might help me with this problem?

I'm sure there are several ways to accomplish this. Many tiers uses different techniques. Thread type/size, type of materials being used, size of fly ... etc all play a part.

I found that sometimes a picture can be really helpful to actual watch what they do, i.e. YouTube. Here's a link to many good dubbing technique videos that maybe of interest. I found some of them to be excellent demonstration in dubbing.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fly+tying+dubbing+techniques&page=1

Hope it helps.

Mike

There are two basic ways to make a tapered body.

1) Use the wing material butts to make a under-body.

2) Use dubbing to taper the body by adding more and more as you go along.

Most people use a combination of the two.

Does that clear anything up?

Joe

again, here is a good read on dubbing techniques. quite lengthy but comprehensive

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sbs&action=display&thread=4046

makes a good bookmark for future reference

I've had that bookmarked for a while. Well worth the time to read.

I never use wax and my dries catch fish. Super fine dry fly dubbing dubs to the thread easily enough already, wax isn't necessary.

Wax is not necessary but IMO it works. I wax all my thread, I also use mostly natural material. I find that wax allows me to dub a very tight body which helps keep the material from absorbing water. I have been tying nearly forty years and that is the way I learned. I have probably have 15 different waxes that I use for different applications.

is wax a nessecity for everything that you dub?

not for everything but it can help with the most ruley of dubbing materials.

if you need a little wax to achieve your goal in dubbing neat, tight and tapered bodies then use it. wax is an option and not a forbidded tying aid and nobody should be telling you not to use it. as you get better at dubbing bodies you can always begin to eliminate the amount of wax until you a finally using no wax, if thats what you want to do.

if you watch davie mcphails tying videos he is almost alway waxing his thread and always has a blob of wax attached to his hand.

you can always rub your finger tips in the wax and dub that way and good old saliva works too. its always best to know where your fingers have been if you use this method! :lol:

is wax a nessecity for everything that you dub?

not for everything but it can help with the most ruley of dubbing materials.

if you need a little wax to achieve your goal in dubbing neat, tight and tapered bodies then use it. wax is an option and not a forbidded tying aid and nobody should be telling you not to use it. as you get better at dubbing bodies you can always begin to eliminate the amount of wax until you a finally using no wax, if thats what you want to do.

if you watch davie mcphails tying videos he is almost alway waxing his thread and always has a blob of wax attached to his hand.

you can always rub your finger tips in the wax and dub that way and good all saliva works too.

This is one of the best answers I've ever read concerning this question.