Fly Tying
LotechJoe

Not Fishing Related

Jazz-Al Di Meola, Pat Metheny

Jazz Bass- Jaco Pastorious

Rock-EC, Santana, Hendrix, Townsend

Rock Bass-Entwhistle (ask Claypoole who the best was)

I'd have to give my vote to Blackmore who I think is second only to Hendrix for revolutionising the post 50s (the pioneers) guitar world.

Roy Buchannan, Known as the "Worlds Greatest Unknown Guitarist".

BB King

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Carlos Santana

Muddy Waters

Way to many to count.

Fatman

I don't know if this guy would be included on your list. But I have always like Harry Chapin. I had a chance to see him at a high school gym in Anchorage Alaska. It was a fantastic concert. I would also say Vince Gill is a hell of a guitarist.

jim

Since some country guitarist have been mentioned then i would have to add Jeff Cook the guitarist from Alabama to that list. I've seen them in concert probably around 8 times and that guy has some real talent.

SD

firsd off I need to set something straight. steve gaines wasn't an original guitarist for lynyrd skynyrd. I believe he replaced ed king and was playing like his third gig w/ the band on one more from the road and played on street survivors before dying in that plane crash.

my favorite guitar players are prince, bob mould, and tom verlaine.

and no one said richard thompson?

mgj

Wow! Bob Mould, I need to dust off some old cd's. I saw him a few years ago at a small club, what a great show.

Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)

QUOTE (mgj @ Dec 2 2004, 06:26 PM)
firsd off I need to set something straight.  steve gaines wasn't an original guitarist for lynyrd skynyrd.  I believe he replaced ed king and was playing like his third gig w/ the band on one more from the road and played on street survivors before dying in that plane crash.

mgj

To set the recored even straighter wink.gif

The original Guitar player for Lynard Skynard was Gary Rossinton(Not Ed King) but back when they first formed the band they went by the name "my backyard" not Lynard Skynard"

Under the name Lynard Skynard its pretty much accepted that Steve Gaines was the guitar player when they were known as Lynard Skynard.

Ed King I know has played Guitar for the band as recent as 1995 but i'm not sure when he actually joined the band. But he was never listed as an original member.

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Dec 2 2004, 07:36 PM)

To set the recored even straighter wink.gif

The original Guitar player for Lynard Skynard was Gary Rossinton(Not Ed King) but back when they first formed the band they went by the name "my backyard" not Lynard Skynard"

Under the name Lynard Skynard its pretty much accepted that Steve Gaines was the guitar player when they were known as Lynard Skynard.

Ed King I know has played Guitar for the band as recent as 1995 but i'm not sure when he actually joined the band. But he was never listed as an original member.

hmmm....

yer gonna make me have to go dig the vinyl out of the garage. and I will.

but two of the three guitars in skynyrd were gary rossington and allen collins. I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that ed king was the third. I do know that gaines played guitar on one more from the road and his first contribution to a studio album was street survivors, then he perished in the plane crash w/ ronnie and his sister cassie.

I'm headed to the garage...

on a related note, have you heard the drive-by truckers brilliant southern rock opera loosely based on the story of lynyrd skynyrd? if not, go out and get it tomorrow. you will not be disappointed at all.

mgj

QUOTE (mgj @ Dec 2 2004, 11:06 PM)
on a related note, have you heard the drive-by truckers brilliant southern rock opera loosely based on the story of lynyrd skynyrd? if not, go out and get it tomorrow. you will not be disappointed at all.

mgj

Nope havent heard that is it country or played on rock stations?

I've been a Skynard fan for years but like i said i cant remember when Ed King started with the group...sounds like you are also so as you probably know they've had i think 18 different band members and around 6-8 different names for the band in the begining laugh.gif

Street survivers your right about though i know that, cus they originaly had the group walking down a street on the cover with fire in the back ground and they had to edit the fire in the pic out after the plane crash because the pic made it look like steve gaines head was on fire and that didnt set too well after the plane crash.

If you find out when Ed King was with the band let me know, i remember he had a heart attack or something around 95 that made him have to leave the band but i havent heard how hes doing nowadays..or if he's still alive?

SD

I guess that I am really out of the loop on this subject. I have not heard of over 3/4ths of the Guitar player even thought I am a Guitar player myself.

The only Person that I could even think of would have to be Mason Williams. For those of you who have never heard of him, he did "Classical Gas", from either the late 50's or 60's, one of my all time favorites. biggrin.gif

I didn't have the patience or light necessary in the garage to flip through a couple thousand lps to find out. I'm pretty sure king was an original member playing bass and occasional guitar. he quit the band and was replaced by gaines. he may have re-joined in one of the later incarnations of the band. I haven't paid much attention to them after the tragedy. at the time I think that they were America's finest rock-n-roll band. hell, I still think they might be.

I am gonna go look in the garage, but it probably won't be until the weekend when I can open the door and let in some sunlight to go with the bank of flouros and shed a little more light on the subject.

southern rock opera isn't likely heard on rock or country radio and that's too bad.

they are one of America's finest current rock-n-roll bands. southern rock opera tells a story of lynyrd skynyrd and growing up in the south and it's incredible. I'd be more than happy to burn a copy of it for you if you'd like. their two most recent cds, decoration day and the dirty south are also both awesome. drive-by truckers kickass.

mgj

QUOTE (mgj @ Dec 3 2004, 12:06 AM)
I'd be more than happy to burn a copy of it for you if you'd like. their two most recent cds, decoration day and the dirty south are also both awesome. drive-by truckers kickass.

mgj

Never heard of them but now ya got me interested.

I'll see if i cant find them online or at the local CD shop first but i appreciate the offer.

Yeah if you didnt know about Ed KIngs heart problem i just pulled this from their site......

"Ed King suffered massive heart failure on tour in 1995 which required him to retire from active touring with Skynyrd. Since then Ed has been on a strict diet and exercise program and he was placed on the national heart transplant list in January 1996. Although he is still on the list for a transplant, Ed and his doctors have been exploring an option where they slice away the damaged part of his heart and actually rebuild the muscle. The Freebird Foundation, Inc. gladly forwards any correspondance you may have for Ed."

Guess he is still around but dosent sound like hes doin too well unsure.gif

SD