Fly Tying
Cody Gould

Favorite Fly

I agree, at least for now. I've been tying and fishing streamers like the sex dungeon and the zoo cougar. Also tied some like the sex D but without the trademark deer head hair.

This is harder than I though at first. There are flys I love to tie and fish because they are simple and productive (Al's rat, CDC EHC), There are flys I like to tie because they are challenging, stimulators for example. And then there are flys that I just like because they look good and work well like parachute or standard drys. But I think the flys I most enjoy tying are the patterns that I am fooling with to try and improve an old fly or create a new one. So I guess the answer is that I don't have a single favorite.

That is a toughie. I'm going to interpret the question in two ways. First, if I could only have one fly it would be a basic 2 1/2 inch silvery white baitfish pattern. I can catch most predatory species in fresh or salt from bream to billfish. My favorite fly to fish is a popper soley because of the visual nature of the take. Other surface or dry flies will often be sipped but popper strikes are usually violent and vulgar. I hope when it's my time to check out its because my ticker exploded from the violent explosion on my popper. I tell my wife a different story so don't dime me out.

The Tungsten Beadhead Pheasant Tail is my alltime favorite. The Copper John is probably it's equal but I have fished the Pheasant Tail much more and have confidence in it and confidence is the name of the game when nymphing.

010612bpt.jpg