Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Materials Costs for the Non-Pro Tyer

The thread about pricing flies by professional tyers prompted me to think about what goes into some of my amateur status bugs.

Currently I am experimenting with big musky attractors with lots of flash, synthetic hair and dubbing materials, and bigger than normal quality hooks. This means I am ordering

most of it new out of the catalogues and the pile of receipts is growing faster than my store of flies. (You can go through a lot of dressings on such patterns.) The tying time is a non-factor as it is relaxing and keeps me off the streets. All the same, I am nudging up against a cost per fly wall without even indulging in the classic Atlantic salmon fly tying syndrome. Gone are the days when a small bag of dubbing materials lasted forever.

Makes me wonder if there is a way to buy in larger bulk for the more commonly used of such materials at a better price?

Rocco

You can buy some of the common dubbings in much larger quantities. Just do a google search for bulk dubbing, or contact some of the smaller companies via email or phone. That is an easy one. You can get them in the really large zip lock freezer bags from some companies. You can buy hooks in 100 packs, or again, if you contact a company or a fly shop that sells them, they would be happy to come up with a price for you for a larger quantity, especially if you continue to buy from them.

As for the synthetic stuff, I'm not positive. I think you can buy them by the hank which may be a better value, although I'm not positive on that one.

have you tried the fly tyers dungeon and checked out his prices for materials? might be cheaper than paying full retail

some sites have hooks by the 1000's

go back to the "pricing flies" thread and send PM's to the commercial tyers asking them what paper work is necessary to buy wholesale.

Hagens fishing has some awesome bulk materials and hooks. They have some stuff that is similar to ep fiber and other streamer material that you can get individually or in bulk. Their website is a mess though so get a catalog and then order over the phone.

If you making this a business then open a pre-pay account with one of the big suppliers, Hareline, Rumpf, etc. If not find a shop that will order you 1000 packs. I get them for my tiers and it cuts their hook cost in half! It may seem like a lot, but when the cost can drop from 20 cents per hook to 9 cents, it is worth it in the long run. Working with your local fly shop, or one you like, can have a lot of benefits down too, if they will work with you and you with them.

Joe

If you think you are going to save money by tying your own flies, I believe you are wrong. Mailing charges and/or travel costs to obtain stuff in addition to the basic materials in all of their assorted sizes and colors plus the equipment required makes frugality an impossibility. It's a hobby and it's going to cost you money.

Call the Fly Tyers Dungeon (Phone: 208 546 4065), pretty sure he would give you bulk pricing. Another forum member who does dubbing and such is "horseshoes", send her a message and see what she can do for you http://www.shop.sdnovascotian.ca/ You could also contact one of our forum sponsors... J Stockard

Wflies.com is the cheapest place I've found T beads, and the nice thing is, they always throw in a few extras with each order!!

Blane