Fly Tying
mfs686

Hello from S.E. Michigan

Hello, my name is Mark. I stumbled across this site while checking out another site that talked about a "Circus Peanut". I started fly fishing and tying my own back when I was 11. I am starting to get back into it more since I purchased a kayak that opened up a lot more fishing opportunities for me. Normally I am a walleye fisherman but I am feeling the need to branch out again. WIth that being said if anyone wants to trade a Detroit River walleye trip for a morning or evening fly fishing trip I'm game.

Hey Mark! Welcome to the site. Good to see another person from SE Michigan on here! Maybe we can connect sometime and get some lines wet!

Welcome aboard from a fellow SE Michigander.

kodiaksalmon I never knew you were that close to me, I guess I always took it for granted by your username that you lived in Alaska. I'm just down the road from you in Royal Oak.

Steve

Thanks for the welcome everybody, I'm downriver in Taylor and about 20 minutes from the lower Detroit River and Huron River. My parents are retired and living in Oscoda and my girlfriend has a place in Prudenville just south of Houghton Lake. So I am usually in one of those 3 places.

I thought about hitting the Huron down in Flat Rock this weekend to try for some Steel but my to do list has grown exponentially in the last few days. Wish I could get out, this warm weather isn't going to last forever.

Hey Steeldrifter, I have been visiting the Oscoda/Harrisville/Greenbush/Mikado area for close to 30 years. My first steelhead came off of McDonald Creek. I hear they have been doing pretty good on the AuSable.

Yeah this warm winter has had some good steelhead in the lower Au Sable from the sounds of it. Sure wish I could get up there and have a go at a few myself.

Where a bouts in Oscoda is your GF's parents place? Right near town or off 23?

I have a cabin pretty close to there as well (bout' 15 mins outside Oscoda). My place is right off M65 at Five Channels dam on the Au Sable.

My parent's place is on the NE corner of Van Etten lake just off of Loud Drive. My father's big plan was to retire up there and go salmon fishing on a regular basis. So much for that plan.....

He and I were just talking about breaking out the Fly rod's again. Been a long time. I did manage to take the kayak out on the lower a couple of times this summer to cast for some Smallie's. No keepers but it was still fun, even if my digital camera is now lying on the bottom of the river just below the whirlpool.

We'll have to try to get together sometime this summer up there then. I normally am up there about once or twice a month during the summer, but I also spend 2 weeks in July up there. Normally Rifleriversteelheadslayer comes up one day to go out in my boat on the impoundment fishing for smallies with me. We'll see if you are around in July and you can meet up with us for a day of bass streamer fishing or trout in Mio (depending on the temps/weather).

Steve

kodiaksalmon I never knew you were that close to me, I guess I always took it for granted by your username that you lived in Alaska. I'm just down the road from you in Royal Oak.

Steve

Yeah, I'm a transplant. I'm still a resident of AK (drivers license, truck plates, etc), and was in Kodiak when I joined the site. The CG has me here for the time being until I go back up there or back out West. From Indiana originally and this is my second tour here. Love LSC!!

We'll have to try to get together sometime this summer up there then. I normally am up there about once or twice a month during the summer, but I also spend 2 weeks in July up there. Normally Rifleriversteelheadslayer comes up one day to go out in my boat on the impoundment fishing for smallies with me. We'll see if you are around in July and you can meet up with us for a day of bass streamer fishing or trout in Mio (depending on the temps/weather).

Steve

Sounds good to me. The siblings and I are actually planning a 4-day weeekend up at Harrisville State Park around the end of June or July, we haven't decided on a final date yet.

Steve

Yeah, I'm a transplant. I'm still a resident of AK (drivers license, truck plates, etc), and was in Kodiak when I joined the site. The CG has me here for the time being until I go back up there or back out West. From Indiana originally and this is my second tour here. Love LSC!!

Boy they sure do send you guys around a bit. I was checked by the CG last summer one evening walleye fishing on the lower Detroit River. They were really surprised to find out that I was catching walleye at 11:00 pm at night. I then asked if they were from around here and they said no. After a brief check I gave them the low down on the fishing in the area along with the when's, where's and how-to's.

More people on this board closer to me then I thought! I live in Sterling Heights which isn't far from a few of you. Also have a place up in Curran which is about 25 miles east of Mio. I just started fly fishing last year and did some good trips on the Au Sable. My last trip was close to you SteelDrifter, I went out of the Five Channels Dam for Small Mouth.