Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

Big Names in Fly Tying

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm reading up and checking out all of the flies from these guys.

Keep them coming if you think of any others.

Im suprised you havent mentioned Ronn Lucas or Bud Guidry yet, I think our own Bruce Derington deserves to be on the list as well for his amazing talent with deer hair and the classics

Try davie mcphail channel you tube.

Brilliant fly tier.

Ditto for sure. I never miss a new Davie video the guy is amazing. It's not just his skill, it's the ability to teach while tying... he can improve your skills in minutes without you even thinking he's doing it!

If you do warm water stuff, Check out the superfly blog by Pat Cohen as well!

Dave Wiltshire's blog is also super for a neat, and different take on a variety of trout flies.

I circled back thinking of John Barr, his stuff really causes me to click into a creative gear and I bet it will for you as well.

Sorry if I missed it but how has Lefty Kreh not been mentioned? Dude has a fly on a US postage stamp

You won't find his name on a website or in a book, but Mark Lewchik of River's End Tackle in Old Saybrook, CT is hands down the best, most creative fly tyer I've ever seen. He's every bit the equal of any of the "big" names, but he couldn't care less about self-promotion. (which in most cases, how big names get to be big names) I've been tying for close to 50 years, and I still learn something every time I talk to Mark.

Charles Jardine is another great flytyer that has'nt been

mentioned as well as being an expert angler & chairman

of the flydressers guild.

I don't think he's on YouTube but he's written some

brilliant books.

I don't know much about big names but a list of very talented tiers that are willing to share their knowledge that I have grown to respect and admire is in no particular order

Ray "letumgo" Tucker

Fred Hannie

Bruce Derington

Pat Cohn

Mcfluffchucker

dryflypurist

day5

If you are looking for great tyers who have published books, I don't see Uncle Dickie Talleur, who just passed away last year, and the Master Bob Veverka who is still alive and kicking. Dick published many books and videos, and Bob has been in Bates books and published his own on Spey flies.