Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrookedHook

Please Help

I have never seen a Pike much less fish for them; however, I need any and all suggestions on what I need to do with this pattern. I watched and viewed a few pike flies and this is my version of a pike fly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Hook: Gamakatsu 2/0 Wide Gap Red

Tail: 3 Inch black rabbit zonker strip

Body/Thorax: Black and red Marabou

Head Area: Black soft hackle

Thread: Black 6/0

post-36234-0-53731500-1325834165_thumb.jpg

I am thinking that I need to bring the zonker, body and all toward the eye a little more and make tighter wraps on the hackle?

Sorry for the stray hairs

I caught about 10 pike this year and they all came on a yellow marabou tail. I would definitely look into getting a hook closer to the tail incase of short strikes. The name of the actual fly I forget but its similar to yours but a trailing hook is tied in using braid.MOAL leach. look that up.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2009/12/09/strung-out-moal-leech-by-loren-williams/

Good Luck

Tom

One of the reasons I love fishing and tying for big fish is that you've got so much room for "artistic license" when it comes to patterns. They'll eat it. You don't need to worry about ratios, propotions, or "is this too much of that?" These fish allow you to tie to suit your tastes and one of them will eat it! I like tandem and even three hook flies, but there's alot of pike and muskie flies that are hook followed by 6" of material. Most of my muskie flies average 10"+ so I do use aft hooks on pretty much every fly. But your pattern there will work fine. Tie it as you like, and enjoy.