Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
idratherbefishin

Foam Question

Hello all,

I just recently have started tying my own flies, and I have a question about foam bodies. I was given some cylinder foam bodies (they are very thin), and I was wondering if someone could recommend some patterns that call for such a material. Here's a link to what I have: http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Foam-Cylinders-for-Hoppers-and-Small-Flies/product/65337/109671

Thanks for any feedback.

What color did you get?

I use black for ant bodies and beetles.

You can also use them for extended mayfly bodies.

hello,

If you are looking for trout patterns a foam beetle is

a good one to start.

I'm not sure of what size foam I have, very small though, I use it to tie a free floating Elk Hair Caddis. I tie and trim it on both ends down the hook shank then add the Elk hair wing and use no hackle. It floats like a cork and the hook is under the surface of the water so I feel I get better hook ups especially on small mountain Brookies and Rainbows. They hit so explosively to be 6" long and sometimes knock my standard fly into the air, seldom happens with the caddis tyed in this fashion.

I'm not sure of what size foam I have, very small though, I use it to tie a free floating Elk Hair Caddis. I tie and trim it on both ends down the hook shank then add the Elk hair wing and use no hackle. It floats like a cork and the hook is under the surface of the water so I feel I get better hook ups especially on small mountain Brookies and Rainbows. They hit so explosively to be 6" long and sometimes knock my standard fly into the air, seldom happens with the caddis tyed in this fashion.

Sweet. Thanks for the feedback. I spend most of time, especially now that the weather is cooler, chasing Brookies up in the mountains. I'll have to try this out.

Sweet. Thanks for the feedback. I spend most of time, especially now that the weather is cooler, chasing Brookies up in the mountains. I'll have to try this out.

I use yellow foam and dyed yellow deer body hair to make a "Yellow Sally" version of my foam Elk Hair Caddis for the North Georgia Brookies. I have had good luck with that pattern

One cool thing about this pattern is it never floats upside down and can be drifted through small riffles.

PC070001.jpg

You might be able to use it for a "Spent Mayfly Tail". Cut a groove in it and place on a needle with the thread wraps and segment the body. I think Davie McPhail has a spent Mayfly vid on youtube. Try it and see. Cheers to ya