Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zug buggin

How much $ tied up in fly tying??

I was doing a mental calculation on how much money I have invested in fly tying. Including the vise I estimate I have almost $3000 dollars tied up in material and tools. I love tying dearlybut my buying of materials has gotten out of hand. I guess the good thing is I one of most everything offered for fly tying. I'm just wondering what kind of investments others have in fly tying??

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

This has to be a thread started by the wives against fly tying.......

Don't tell your secrets!!!

-Forrest

"My biggest fear is that upon my passing, my wife will sell all my tying stuff for what I told her I paid for it."

Say that statement on this forum a while back. How true!

I have no idea how much money I have tied up in materials.... Suffice it to say that I could equip a good small shop easily.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

A few thousand....I would bet good money that the $3000 you have calculated for your expenditure is well below what many on this board have spent.

I am afraid to wonder. I would guess well over 5K. It was seriously compounded this summer when I got hooked on tying coldwater stuff in addition to my saltwater stuff.

I'm with Capt Bob on this, likely enough to stock a small shop.

I don't know about tying alone, as I also make lures. I have well over 200 molds for pouring lead, and it's probably closer to 300. A couple are custom made @ over $100 each, and most sold for $30-35 each.

If I had to guess, I've been collecting stuff for about 47 years, 15 years as a commercial tier, so probably in the $40-50,000 range.

Someday, I guess I should figure out exactly what it's really worth. <_<

I'm with Capt Bob on this, likely enough to stock a small shop.

I don't know about tying alone, as I also make lures. I have well over 200 molds for pouring lead, and it's probably closer to 300. A couple are custom made @ over $100 each, and most sold for $30-35 each.

If I had to guess, I've been collecting stuff for about 47 years, 15 years as a commercial tier, so probably in the $40-50,000 range.

Someday, I guess I should figure out exactly what it's really worth. <_<

$40 to $50K. Whew! That makes me feel better as I thought I was over doing it. I seriously doubt that I have over $1000 or so and I've been collecting stuff for over 30 years. But then, money is like time and soon gets away from you.

Dave

HMMMMM!!!!!!!

I wonder if this addiction can be a TAX deduction :lol: