Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Going to PA

Markbob, forum members, and those who have read this post,

I would like to apologize for assuming that the "Heritage Section" of the Little Lehigh was still the "Heritage Section" and wading in that specific section was still not allowed. I haven't fished that area for almost a year and should have checked with my friend and PA Fish & Boat Commissioner, and should have also checked with one of the local (in my area) WCO's who is also a friend.

I also appologize for not bringing up the E.Coli issue in my original post. I was glad that someone (Markbob) was coming to the area so I was eager to help, and did not recollect the news articles that were published months ago. Even though anglers are still fishing the Little Lehigh with E. Coli present, I would have added that info/warning in my original post.

However, I do not apoligize for my response (post #27) to Vincent Dick Jr. (2bonthewater) in reference to his initial post (#26) which he tried to remove before the forum members had a chance to read it for themselves. Earlier in this thread I was unsure of his response to me, which was post #20 & #21, so I asked him to clarify his statement since it could have had other meanings.....at least to me. As all of you can see, I was not given the opportunity by Vincent Dick Jr. to clarify my statement about wading in the old heritage section, as opposed to the freedom to wade the rest of Little Lehigh or every river in the state, which led to his rant that he changed to an icon.

Judging by his response in post #29 and insinuating that I am a "tool" along with thousands of other PA anglers, I don't expect Vincent Dick Jr. to apologize to myself, forum members, or those reading this thread. I also don't expect him to apologize for trying to "drum up" some business by using another persons website (The Fly Tying Forum created by Will Mullis), and having the nerve to ask people to hit the "like" button.

Markbob,

I wish you the best with your endeavors at work in the Hamburg area and hope you have the time to get out on the stream and wet a line. I can understand if you would like nothing to do with me or Vincent, but I hope we didn't put a "bad taste in your mouth" about this area of the state, it's streams, and the anglers.

this is a high-population-density part of the state. No matter where you go, there is a good chance of encountering a dumba$$ on the stream, walking through where he should be fishing, walking through where I AM fishing, throwing a 4-foot tree branch out into the creek so his filthy creature of a dog can swim out and retrieve it - 10 feet upstream of where I am fishing, etc etc etc. After all it is JUST FISHING, and unfortunately there is not much that can be done about it. Last summer I was dead in the water in my kayak fishing a shoreline at Pinchot State Park, and came within inches of getting speared by a moron in his rowing shell, going about 20 knots, backwards of course, with F-ing waterproof headphones in his earholes so he could listen to music instead of the screams and whistles of ME trying to get out of his way. That's off topic I guess. My point is don't let this stuff bother you, if you have a chance to go fishing then by all means go do it.

No worries. This many people get in on a conversation and there are bound to be a few disagreements. e. coli doesn't bother me because I am just fishing for sport with no intention of keeping fish. I will grab a bottle of purell to wash my hands after I handle fish if I catch anything.

My flight gets into Philly at around noon on Monday. I need to go to Cabellas and pick up a license and then head to the hotel to check in and unpack my gear and by then hopefully I will have enough time to get on the water for a little bit before dark. The rest of the week is going to be a maybe for me as my hours have been set as 0800-1700. I don't know if that will leave any time for me to fish after work or not. There is a slight possibility that I will be up there over the weekend and unable to work but I am not holding my breath.

JS,

thats what back cast are made for. Had a guy drift down on me with his out board and within 3 feet put in gear to go back up the delaware. I back cast a size 5/0 striper fly into his shoulder. good for dogs in the water too. just pop the tippet...

No worries. This many people get in on a conversation and there are bound to be a few disagreements. e. coli doesn't bother me because I am just fishing for sport with no intention of keeping fish. I will grab a bottle of purell to wash my hands after I handle fish if I catch anything.

My flight gets into Philly at around noon on Monday. I need to go to Cabellas and pick up a license and then head to the hotel to check in and unpack my gear and by then hopefully I will have enough time to get on the water for a little bit before dark. The rest of the week is going to be a maybe for me as my hours have been set as 0800-1700. I don't know if that will leave any time for me to fish after work or not. There is a slight possibility that I will be up there over the weekend and unable to work but I am not holding my breath.

I think I will be going to Cabela's on Sunday. Their fly shop is nice, but honestly I expected it to be "better" than it is. Sometimes you can find good deals in their Bargain Cave. Gonna be cutting it kind of close trying to get on the water that day... it's dark already at 18. Good luck and please keep us posted where you go and how you do.

Sandfly- I hear you. I wouldn't intentionally want to get a hook near a dog, after all the dog is just being a dog but the @$$-hole dog owners are another story.

Well, the first of several trips to PA for work is coming to a close (I fly home tomorrow) and I managed to get about a day and a half in on the water while I was here.

I fished Sunday and Wednesday afternoon, both days I went to the Little Lihigh.

On Sunday, I started at the fly shop and fished my way up to the hatchery, then back down river and fished a few pools past the foot bridge near the fly shop. I have never seen so many fly anglers in one place before. It was packed. At one point I counted 6 anglers fishing the pool in front of the hatchery. Anyhow, the only action I got was near the end of the day I hooked what I think was a palomino but it threw the hook and got away. No fish in hand but I had a good time anyhow.

ON Wednesday I got out after work and a buddy of mine who enjoys photography as a hobby came with and took some photos. I had received some advice from a coworker to use a purple egg pattern, he has had a lot of luck with them. I was drifting the purple egg pattern and a pale yellow sucker spawn. I didn't get any trout but I did manage my first carp looking thing...and I had a good time. I also realized that I need to seriously learn how to control my line when I am drifting nymphs. I can cast fine and I can get the drag free drift right but I have way too much slack in the line and too much slack between my line hand and the rod hand. Its causing me to struggle to set the hook and keep the tension on the fish.

post-34851-0-66043700-1328149745_thumb.jpg

Fish on!

post-34851-0-53875500-1328149756_thumb.jpg

First carp looking thing...

post-34851-0-67696200-1328149765_thumb.jpg

post-34851-0-46893300-1328149777_thumb.jpg

post-34851-0-17763200-1328149790_thumb.jpg

excellent! that fish is a sucker of some sort- northern redhorse sucker perhaps. At least you caught some fish! You also got some incredibly nice weather, much too nice to be at WORK where I was.

Okay, I assumed some type of carp because it hit the purple egg and I thought it thought it was a berry of some sort which is common food for some species of carp. It was fun to catch anyhow.

Okay, I assumed some type of carp because it hit the purple egg and I thought it thought it was a berry of some sort which is common food for some species of carp. It was fun to catch anyhow.

They can fight like crazy, especially in the cold water

alright folks......there was no post of mine removed by any moderators........

I removed my response because some of you folks are not worth the effort

TOOL -- definition-- one that is used or manipulated by another

so, if any of you fellers felt I was calling them a TOOL in a negative manner......that is on your guilty conscience.....not mine......

Bottom is line that one man asked for help pertaining to fishing in a particular part of the state......and all you fellas had to say was: it blows--

I've done more to help the environment, promote our passion, and help our youth than most of you fellas...now I said most.....because there are few guys out there who go way beyond me......and that is awesome

a few of you guys are true sportsman.....it shows in your comments............there are just too many folks who really like stirring the pot....because they have something to prove......good job.....you proved plenty........

VINCENT DICK JR.

Ret. USN

Ret. Waterways Conservation Officer for the PA Fish and Boat Commission

Owner: 2Bonthewater Guide Service

and before the....he only helped because he wanted the business..........stop that.......that wasn't the case.......not even close......but, think what you guys will......most of you guys know everything.........about the only thing I wanted from Mark was for him to accept an apology on behalf of all Pennsylvanians because of the responses in this thread..........some of you guys are just too awesome and all knowing......

won't visit this thread again.........Mark knows how to reach me...........maybe next time we'll get to share a drift on some water that blows biggrin.gif bash away and have fun !!!