Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lthrnck03

Bead Head Soft Hackle

You keep tying my friend... Those fish will eat it. Remember: Some flys are to catch fish, while others are to catch fishermen. Just because the fly may appear all fancy shmancy does not mean it will catch fish. I have used very elaborate flys and caught nothing, and I have used old raty flys that look like a jumbled mess and have killed the fish. Heck man I know there are several people here that have used flys that were coming apart and caught more fish with them than when the fly was together. Prime example: I was discussing a BWO the other day and one of the other fishermen stated that his BWO hackle came undone and caused a streamer affect. The trout killed it. In nature one will find that there are very few bugs etc that are perfect. I like to look at flys that are exact measurments, beautiful colors i.e. the salmon show flys are fantastic; however, I am sure most "fishermen" want something that is buggy and narly looking. That is what puts the fish on the hook my friend. Keep it up! Cheers to ya

Second one looks good, I like to keep the hackle sparse- one turn or strip half. as for the bead, maybe with it at the back it will sit in the water more like a nymph rising- head to surface.

Nothing wrong or new about putting the bead behind or in front of the hackle. I actually like the bead behind a real soft hackle. I think it enhances the swimming effect of the hackle when the fly is stripped. I personally like a slimmer body but that is just me.