Fly Tying

So being up noth in sault ste. marie and Iv been itching to try some of these lake dwelling brookies and lake trout for my first winter here. It wasnt really what I expected, not alot of action and alot of time spent on the ice in th cold. I visited my first lake a few days ago for brookies and managed one 12.5 inch female, I felt really good about that, infact out of the 18 holes I put down that day that hole I landed my brookie from 2 other anglers wih me landed a female and a really really nice male. Today I have just returned from a cabin outing for lake trout. There was 3 of us and we each managed one over the 2 days we where there, very slow action still with the weather being about -20 c. Hav lots of pictures for everyone and ill post them up soon, the scenery is just fantastic. So anyone els out on the ice these days?

I'd love to be ice fishing at the moment.........but, I have no ice mad.gif

So, post up those pics.......I'd love to see them..............

It was barely above single digits in PA last night.......and currently about 13 degrees..........so, if this keeps up, I might get to ice fish this season......normally, I can hit the hardwater a few days before Christmas.........

bring on the cold !!!wacko.gif

It was barely above single digits in PA last night.......and currently about 13 degrees..........so, if this keeps up, I might get to ice fish this season......normally, I can hit the hardwater a few days before Christmas.........

Looks as if temps are going back up, and rain is forecast for tomorrow. All next week highs are well above freezing. don't know if we're going to get ice fishing at all this year in S Central Pa.

yeah for the longest time it wouldnt cool down here either, strange weather this year for many areas it seems, looks like this thursday before class we will be heading out to a lake superior bay near sault ste. marie, its getting warm as we speak so hopefully there isnt 6 inches of slush under my feet. hope you boys get some frozen water out there soon, if it dosnt come soon you wont get any!

The snowball is an 18 feet marker for an amazing lake trout area, in this little area it ranges from 18 to 24 feet, about 50 feet away is a creek that smelt run up like crazy, go figure why the trout are here.

post-28597-0-61651000-1326754852_thumb.jpg

So being up noth in sault ste. marie and Iv been itching to try some of these lake dwelling brookies and lake trout for my first winter here. It wasnt really what I expected, not alot of action and alot of time spent on the ice in th cold. I visited my first lake a few days ago for brookies and managed one 12.5 inch female, I felt really good about that, infact out of the 18 holes I put down that day that hole I landed my brookie from 2 other anglers wih me landed a female and a really really nice male. Today I have just returned from a cabin outing for lake trout. There was 3 of us and we each managed one over the 2 days we where there, very slow action still with the weather being about -20 c. Hav lots of pictures for everyone and ill post them up soon, the scenery is just fantastic. So anyone els out on the ice these days?

I am surprised to see an ice-fishing topic at this site.. In our region (Russian Far East) everything is frozen.

I tie flies, dream on the summer, and do some ice-fishing. We catch mostly the Amur pike Esox reicherti.

This pike looks like a trout..

post-34261-0-09990800-1327451233_thumb.jpg post-34261-0-63923600-1327451252_thumb.jpg post-34261-0-27072800-1327451268_thumb.jpg

I am surprised to see an ice-fishing topic at this site.. In our region (Russian Far East) everything is frozen.

I tie flies, dream on the summer, and do some ice-fishing. We catch mostly the Amur pike Esox reicherti.

post-34261-0-09990800-1327451233_thumb.jpg post-34261-0-63923600-1327451252_thumb.jpg post-34261-0-27072800-1327451268_thumb.jpg

wooohooo those are awsome! there really nice looking too, I really wish we had those here, all we got is your regular Esox lucius around here, wish i was fishing on that spot in russia! Thanks for sharing the pics my friend.

Druce

Looks as if temps are going back up, and rain is forecast for tomorrow. All next week highs are well above freezing. don't know if we're going to get ice fishing at all this year in S Central Pa.

I think you're right, JSzymczyk, my equipment is ready to go, but i think the warm temps this week will kill the season. It's been my experience that, when it gets to to the end of January and there's no fishable ice, there will be no season. I guess you never know though about the weather.

I've decided that ice......is for drinks...mainly tea! Just went out Monday with my son in law (a native Cape Bretoner) and very nearly froze my extremities off. He was wearing -100 boots and a Artic polar suit and felt nothing. My grand daughter (7) looked at me and said," Grampy how many layers do you have on?"

"Uhhhh 2?"

"Oh, I have 4...I'm warm"

10 minutes after drilling the holes in the ice , I was trying to find a way to sit with my feet in the air, hands in my pockets, nose buried in my chest...eyeballing the car parked up on the hill....

Nope! Ice is fer drinks, not fer fishin' thru.... :lol:

I've decided that ice......is for drinks...mainly tea! Just went out Monday with my son in law (a native Cape Bretoner) and very nearly froze my extremities off. He was wearing -100 boots and a Artic polar suit and felt nothing. My grand daughter (7) looked at me and said," Grampy how many layers do you have on?"

"Uhhhh 2?"

10 minutes after drilling the holes in the ice , I was trying to find a way to sit with my feet in the air, hands in my pockets, nose buried in my chest...eyeballing the car parked up on the hill....

I wouldnt fish on the ice either,its cold its windy...its cold, but man I can just smell them under that ice when I drive by a lake. they must be mine!! muhahaha! :lol:

"Uhhhh 2?"

I wouldnt fish on the ice either,its cold its windy...its cold, but man I can just smell them under that ice when I drive by a lake. they must be mine!! muhahaha! :lol:

When it is cold I prefer to fish from a heated tent which is not always possible..

post-34261-0-86093700-1327525955_thumb.jpg

Some Russian fishermen are innovative. Here you can see an old car with a wood stove and chimney.. at the ice of the Amur River.

post-34261-0-69529200-1327526059_thumb.jpg

Probably you should try to do the same with your vehicle..

"Uhhhh 2?"

When it is cold I prefer to fish from a heated tent which is not always possible..

post-34261-0-86093700-1327525955_thumb.jpg

Some Russian fishermen are innovative. Here you can see an old car with a wood stove and chimney.. at the ice of the Amur River.

post-34261-0-69529200-1327526059_thumb.jpg

Probably you should try to do the same with your vehicle..

the tent looks nice my friend, do you keep it out there? We are mostly on foot with no tent, it sucks but we move alot so its easyer with no tent. love the car hahaha! thanks for sharing :lol: funny thing about the vehicle thing is we have done that (no stove), just drive up beside our holes but we mainly use it for tying knots in,when its -20c and 35 km winds

On another not im heading out to a place called rock lake this friday afternoon, we will see what comes of that. hopefully some walleye or pike

I have caught my share of Northern Pike in my lifetime but I have never heard of (or seen) an Amur Pike. And now I have! Thanks for sharing the photos.

A question for you...How big do they get? I think the record for a Norther Pike in North America is around 38 pounds.

You guys fish the way we do here in Minnesota. Its fun, not cold if you do it right.

I hait packing tons of gear and I dont like to carey anything more than whats on my back. I used to carey minnows but than i gave up on that disater, switch to spoons instead. So that lightened me a few pounds, than i stopped careying 2 ice rods and replaced one with just a plastic spool and some fly backing with a long 4 pound leader and a slip bobber, still have 1 nice ice rod for jigging though; that in turn layed off a few grams of weight. I dress to the brim with warm clothes and carey backup under layers in my day pack as well. Its almost never that we have a shack or wind cover when we are out there. Its great because you can move constantly. This is especially important because we usually hit up several different new lakes in a month because there is just so damn many out here. So we never know where to go other than using topography theory figure spots.

The amur Pike is really a pretty fish.

I gave up ice fishing many years ago.

I have had great days catching Northern Pike thru the ice and crappies.

But I have a real affection for fishing moving water, I absolutely love fishing in rivers. I don't mind the cold, I have fished the rivers when you have to cast around the slush-bergs and never felt cold.

I can take fishing in a lake but a frozen lake or river really doesn't do it for me.

They do ice fish some of the tributary rivers around here for big Brown Trout.

It sort of offends my sensibilities to a degree.

I'll wait for March when the steelhead bite starts to pick up.