Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

steelhead / egg pattern question

what size do you all tie your glo-bug egg patterns usually? I'll ASSume the use of a pattern-specific hook such as Daiichi 1510, Mustad Signature C67S, TMC 2457. I need to get prepared to catch some steelheads.

Any where from micro 1/8" to regular at a 1/4" and sometimes even larger. Fresh fish don't mind larger eggs, pressured fish go smaller. It can depend on the stream you will be fishing as well.

Scud hooks are great....it doesn't necessasarily have to be a specific egg hook, but thats up to you.

I don't use them that much but when I do i use a #14 egg hook. If you are going for anything that could be over 20 inches then be sure to use an extra strong hook and a good brand like gamakatsu.

I usually use a size 12 scud hook. I try to make all my eggs the same size and will trim them at the waters edge. Sometimes I will mangle the egg pattern and it seems to get more strikes.

its totally cheating but i like to just peg a beed with a #6 gamu 6" under. works great for me and the rainbows/kelts steels.

I fish in Michigan, Ohio, and Pa, Smaller eggs in low water 14's, and larger in dark, Dirty,green water. I like Clow eggs in high water, the biggest I tie on are 10's and I use scud hooks light wire

its totally cheating but i like to just peg a beed with a #6 gamu 6" under. works great for me and the rainbows/kelts steels.

I have heard people will kick your a$$ and throw you in the creek for using pegged beads. Don't know, don't really care, but I have heard some extremely heated discussions about it. To me it isn't anything different than tying on a nymph 6 inches behind an egg pattern. I've caught a hell of a lot of bass, trout, salmon, and everything else which slashed at the lure and got a hook on the outside of the jaw, nothing to do with "cheating" in those cases. ???

good thing im well trained in the art of kick ass lol but 8 years of Hapkido do help. Out in BC i have never run into a problem with it, i guess they are all a bit more relaxed in the...medicinal...province.

I like it because in BC it is single hook so its a technicality, i have a bead and a red hook that is for all intensive purposes is a SJW. I some times wonder if they would look the other way if it was just a glow bug under? I was talking to some locals who had the same rig as me and later in the parking lot they were scoffing that you should need to be a 3 year local to use beads! And when it all boils down it isnt sand shrimp from a fridge or a bunch of Natives pulling nets down the river worse?

oh, no doubt- we used to see people on the Reservation in Cattaraugus Creek in New York SHOOTING fish with their deer rifles...

I don't agree with intentionally SNAGGING fish in the body with a dedicated snagging hook, but from what I can tell bead fishing still entails the fish going after a lure/bead and trying to eat it and catching the hook in the mouth. ???

Like I said I don't have any experience with it and I don't really care one way or another.

Steelhead fishing in Pa streams is a circus and a traffic jam all rolled into one, with most folks using wads of powerbait and globs of steelhead eggs anyhow. I just know I've heard/read guys get EXTREMELY worked up over the pegged-bead topic.

Can someone please fill me in on why beads are seen as negative? hell its better than tying yarn eggs all freekin day, just get a bag of roe colored beads and bam you set for good. Its still a "fly"