Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

Guess this location

Went to a very infamous spot a while back in early January, I know one of you guys can guess this one on a dime. I don’t get out a lot to travel for fishing and this place humbled me. I had to go through a lot of photos to find one that hides the landscape as much as possible. I dont wana give out any hints because I know your all smart as*'s. No GPS coordinates or anything just what its known as by the fishing community SO WHAT IS THIS LOCATION?

post-28597-0-82145800-1326752271_thumb.jpg

post-28597-0-29964000-1326752600_thumb.jpg

Even better who can identify the red stemmed shrub behind me in the second photo by scientific name.

Don't know the place, but I'd guess a red osier dogwood (Cornus sericea) for the shrub?

damn right on the plant id, do you fish in Ontario ever?

Yes ... many many moons ago. Flew into a lake ... around the Churchill River, maybe? With my old Golden Retriever, "Saxon" ... and some other guys.... I then drove across Canada to Maine for more fishing. Heck of a trip. I remember that was when Gorbachev was kicked out of power ... I heard it on the radio in Quebec. Not speaking French I could only figure out that something big was happening in the Soviet Union. Kind of weird feeling. I also remember sleeping in the cab of my pickup with Saxon snoring out on top of me.

Alright here is another clue.....something near it is big...huuuuge! and its falling!

Red Osier Dogwood..........a few other tree dudes out there.....nice........damn my Dendrology class.........we had our final in a hailstorm with about 12 inches of snow on the ground.....and the prof was just pointing out trees.......it was awesome....if we didn't know it.......a few stragglers would stay behind and dig until we found some leaves.......great class

one time, the prof had us all grab a persimmon fruit......some ripe.....some not.........everyone bit into the fruit at the same time......some were like, oh so juicy........and for the unlucky ones...which included me........all got instant cotton mouth............lesson learned

we even bowled with some osage oranges........good times.........

Alright here is another clue.....something near it is big...huuuuge! and its falling!

Ill shoot for the obvious, Niagra River! My guess is on the Candian side. Ive spent a little bit of time out that way since its only about a 3.5 hour trip for me, not enough time to know the exact place! :rolleyes:

the bush is a Red Twig Dogwood. The Native American tries used to used them because of the straight nature of the branches.

Ill shoot for the obvious, Niagra River! My guess is on the Candian side. Ive spent a little bit of time out that way since its only about a 3.5 hour trip for me, not enough time to know the exact place! :rolleyes:

wow cool! you got it, its actually the Niagra whirlpool spot but man it is the Niagra river and the canadian side. fell on a rock that day and messed up my float rod :lol:

Red Osier Dogwood..........a few other tree dudes out there.....nice........damn my Dendrology class.........we had our final in a hailstorm with about 12 inches of snow on the ground.....and the prof was just pointing out trees.......it was awesome....if we didn't know it.......a few stragglers would stay behind and dig until we found some leaves.......great class

one time, the prof had us all grab a persimmon fruit......some ripe.....some not.........everyone bit into the fruit at the same time......some were like, oh so juicy........and for the unlucky ones...which included me........all got instant cotton mouth............lesson learned

we even bowled with some osage oranges........good times.........

Thats the thing about outdoor tests with trees and shrub classes if your doing twig ID sections you get bad weather classes cuz its winter. I slammed back some balsam fir sap once on impuls Was a little embarrassing.

While I was searching through some photos I found this one I thought a few of you would like, here is a friend of mine who landed a bull trout through the ice just before January. I can even tell you the exact location where he caught it to....Alberta :lol: ! Was a rare catch and you will all be happy to know it was gently released.

post-28597-0-98318600-1326851946_thumb.jpg