Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

008/109 Black Stonefly Nymph

I like this one, it has lots of step to get it done but it's a really nice one. I use a #8 2XL hook and I think works perfect for the fly. I like it. What do you all think?????

post-36075-0-23631900-1326779246_thumb.jpg

I like this one, it has lots of step to get it done but it's a really nice one. I use a #8 2XL hook and I think works perfect for the fly. I like it. What do you all think?????

Very nicely done. Great attention to detail. I like the wing cases.

Nice tie! I've been trying to find a stonefly pattern like that to imitate the critters on the Pere Marquette during the spring steelhead run. Just a bit smaller -- a size 10? -- but the same tapered profile as they are very slim and agile swimmers. One problem is that most nymph hooks that small are pretty week for those active devils. An articulated fly with a beefy front hook might be the answer. I also hate to spend a lot of time on flies I will lose to rocks'n roots but if they are as effective as they look to be....

Rocco

I'm just on the verge of tying some winter blacks myself,that is an excellent looking pattern ,symetry is very nice,Looks perfect to me,I wish I could tie them that nice!!!!!!