Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
milo3

Hook Size

Newbie question, am wanting to tie flys for bream fishing, what size hook do i need ? i was looking at Jann's Netcraft , but I need help in choosing size and style. many Thanks, Milo

Newbie question, am wanting to tie flys for bream fishing, what size hook do i need ? i was looking at Jann's Netcraft , but I need help in choosing size and style. many Thanks, Milo

Gills can be caught on hooks from 6-12 mustad 3366 is a great hook as are some of the nymph hooks- they will serve you well- check out ward bean's warmwater fly tyer

Ive caught them on a hook as big as size 2 and as small as size 18 but I would get some size 8 dry fly for your topwater and then a size 10 or 12 for your nymphs.

The hook size is determined more by the insect or other bait that you are trying to imitate. You can catch fish on almost any hook that they can fit in their mouth as attested to by the previous answers. Hook size is probably less important than getting the proportions of your imitation right. Just an opinion... Good luck and have some fun.

My go to size is 10. I have experianced conditions where they would hit my 10's but would not actually eat. I use 14 and 16's when this happens. Like the others, I have caught gills on hooks up to 1's. I have even caught them on 5/8 oz Jitterbugs.

These folks have given you some great advise. For me, I tend to use larger size hooks for panfish than most folks might. I use size 4 & 6 hooks more than anything, even for Bluegills. I agree with what ditz2 & others have said about what they're eating, and with shoebop about what you're imitating. However, most panfish species, such as the various sunfishes, crappies, yellow & white perch are not usually picky about the insects or other forage they eat, so you don't necessarily have to tie flies that match a particular size prey. These fish are not picky about what they'll eat anyway, as the flies we tie do not really have to even look like a particular prey. Fishing for them is not like fishing for trout where you're matching the hatch. Nothing wrong with doing that, but not usually necessary.

You did not say where you will be fishing. In the waters I fish most here in MD, a 12" Bluegill is a monster & rare, while a 8 or 9" specimen is more common. I caught Bluegill's in FL many years ago, that were 12-13", and caught them on size 4 marabou streamers. In the southern states, such larger fish are more common, so larger flies can be a better choice.

You may consider that the size of the fish that are most common, might better determine what hook you'll wish to use. I rarely fish for panfish with hook sizes less than an 8, primarily because I catch plenty of fish with the larger hooks I use, I don't hook as many small fish, and the smaller hooks tend to be swallowed too deeply, making releases more difficult.

It's not a bad idea either to use a few different hook sizes, just to cover situations where you might need them.

As far as style of hook, most any will work. If you're on a tight budget, you might consider Aberdeen style hooks for panfish flies. They're usually lesser priced than fly hooks, and will work just as well. Otherwise, dry fly style hooks are fine for surface flies, while wet fly/nymph style hooks are fine for sinking flies.

If you want a better quality hook, at a good price check out JStockards website, the site sponsor. They're having a sale on hooks right now too.

tidewater brought up a good point. I tend to use aberdeen hooks for gills. They are cheap and if you get snagged you can usually just pull it loose and the hook will straighten enough to get your fly back. This is a good thing since I am usually fishing in brushy and rocky areas and I cast right into the worst of it on the small creeks that I fish. I always carry needle nose pliers to re-bend the hook.