Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Tying Addiction

The two seaducer/ small whistler (kinda) flies is my varation of them, this is the way I like to tie them only because they seem to work for the Striped (why change something if it works) :)!

Other fly is a BIGEYE Deciever

Also a quick question for anyone viewing my flies - I want to get into tying DC Wiggler type flies - are long thin saddle hackles just called long thin saddle hackles? I apologize if its a dumbass question - thanks fellows and enjoy the pics!

Also I usually order 99% of my fly tying materials from JStockard.com or stock up at a show. I will be going to SOMERSET FLY SHOW in NJ next friday with Capt Joe Blados (Inventor of the crease fly, who may not know of him, excellent guide and person)

Where does everyone get their supplies from regarding an online website? Thanks again:)!

post-36479-0-31319400-1326938890_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-37255600-1326938902_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-42924300-1326938913_thumb.jpg

I don't know if those feathers have a specific name but I just call them long hackle feathers. I tie a DC Wiggler variant (I assume it's a variant since I have never seen a pattern just followed what I see). It' basically a seaducer with long hackle for tail. I get the feathers from Whiting American saddle. Fly just flat out catches fish.

Tons of people view my flies and not one person can give me any answer but you so far lol - I thank you for that. I totally agree about the fly, my buddy gave me a few last spring and its hard to say what it looks like food wise but the thing is it just has such a sweet action in the water and just looks so tempting for the fish lol, really like the flies for bass blues and weakfish, i am sure you can create many styles, i just need to make sure i can get the long thin hackles - thanks for your input it is appreciated

I don't tie anything along those lines so my opinion would be less than that really....an opinion that is...more of an uneducated guess. For a real knowledgeable opinion,other than agn54 (who is a knowledgeable salt guy), give your supplier a call. JStockard has a VERY good reputation of customer service...for that matter, message him here on FTF. Don't remember his name but I do remember folks commenting on how helpful he was when called...Good Luck!

I've always just called them long, thin saddle hackles. They've been scarce recently due to demands from the fashion industry. I've been using ostrich herl as a substitute and it works just as well, maybe better. Kenney Abrames uses that type of hackle a lot for his flatwing patterns and he may have invented a name for them.

Give Chicago Fly Fishing outfitters a call. Tell them what you want to tie and they will go to their products while on the phone with you and hand pick something out. On top of that you will get it in 2 days.

I have used J. Stockard many times and never had a problem. I am a sucker for better shipping prices and recieving products faster so thats why I have switched to pretty much exclusively Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters.

And of course I order from fly tyers dungeon (AWESOME!!) which is notoriously slow shipping but you cant beat their prices on some items. You know this of course because we've already talked about it lol.

Take care man.

If you can't find what you want at Stockard's, you might want to give saltwaterflies.com a try. Chris runs a class operation and unlike a lot of places, his materials are top-quality. If they're having quality issues with suppliers, etc., he'll tell you up front. I can't say enough good things about the site.

How about that - I've been tying the same fly for the past 25 years and I didn't know it had a name. A tail of Icelandic sheep hair or ostrich herl will give it even more action. Just be sure to use a tail support.

Got my first x-mas box from FTD in december and have a ton of stuff to experiment with. Half the fun of that box is finding uses for things your not used to tying with. Little bitty legs, different dubbing, tons of flash to use and blend. Northern lights brushed in on the sides of an ep fly? awesome.

Hope everyone knows I was just kidding about agn54 only responding to my post lol - THANK YOU to everyone for the great comments - A great website I found (whom I am sure everyone knows about) is bearsden.com - they have tons of thick and long/thin saddle hackles for 20 to 60$ - check them out, I really like their materials plus they have 1000 eyes both stick on and 3d for pretty cheap - thanks again everyone really appreciate the help!