Fly Tying
wrc2121

Deer Hair for spinning

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a online shop or and fly shop that takes orders that might have quality hair for spinning in a bigger patch than 2"x2"?

Any info here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rob C

I also should mention that i'm in cincinnati, ohio if that helps at all

Blue Ribbon Flies has good hair. The pieces are bigger than 2x2 but not by a lot.

Most local taxidermy shops have scraps, you can usually get more than you will ever use, and if you can build a relationship with them, you might get access to some exotics also, not bad for time spent. IMHO

Blane

ps Chris is no longer running his online shop due to health reasons, or at least that's what's posted on his web page

Find a local shop that deals with Wapsi Fly (an industry wholesaler). They'll be able to order exactly what you need from page 18 of this year's catalogue. The item you want is called Premo Deer Hair strips and each one will be 15" long and 2.5" wide. With 22 colors for this particular item your shop should have no trouble getting what you want...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a online shop or and fly shop that takes orders that might have quality hair for spinning in a bigger patch than 2"x2"?

Any info here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rob C

I also should mention that i'm in cincinnati, ohio if that helps at all

you might try ebay

Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn has some of the best Premo Deer hair I have found online. It is pre sorted and isn't full of junk hair. It is a good sized patch, in a bunch of colors.

Barlow's in Plano,Texas (barlowstackle.com) has the "Premo" deer hair strips, and they are reasonably priced. I have been using the "Premo" strips for over 20 years, and have never found a bad one.

I definitely recommend the Wapsi strips. I bought one the last time I was in the fly shop and it helped me to finally have the right hair for spinning.

When I went to Mr. Helm's website and saw the change in his business I wound up using the first company his lists on his new front

web page and purchased a number of colors which are 2" X 12" in size. They are listed as Hareline Premo Deer Hair. So far they have

met my needs. I use deer hair behind my popper heads as an option other than hackle.

Great information!!, thanks for all the responses. I will be spending my day web site hopping, and checking them all out and purchasing more than needed i'm sure. to bad I didn't post this in enough time to get it before all the ice that hit last night. Would be a great day for tying. once again thanks for the help.

Barlow's in Plano,Texas (barlowstackle.com) has the "Premo" deer hair strips, and they are reasonably priced. I have been using the "Premo" strips for over 20 years, and have never found a bad one.

I have to agree here, Barlow's is close to me and they always have stuff for tying, their online store is almost always the cheapest price for deer hair.

PS Black hair sucks to try and spin.

Blane