Fly Tying
Nick Williams

Mishaps in Fly Tying???

This thread is classic! I'm sure I've forgot many... but one from last winter is still fresh and I can feel the pain...

I was steaming a hair bug prior to trimming. I was rushing, so I just used the tea pot on the stove. It gets steaming nice, I open the pour spout to let the steam out nice. Rather than using needle nose pliers or heamostats to hold the hook away from me, I just used a hackle plier. Well, the hook slipped out and lodged part way into the neck on the tea pots spout. without thinking, I just reached fast to "save" the fly... by the time I got it out (.5 second maybe) I had nice bubbles forming on my skin and a heck of a burn. That slowed my tying for week or two since I could barely bend fingers!

The physical scar's have healed, but mentally, I'm still burned and just can not fish that bug...

i too have spilled head cement, The last time i got lucky, I was using Hard as Nails, brand new bottle, left it open as i was still in the process of using it, accidentally hit it and knocked it over. Somehow i managed to catch it and turn it right side up before any came out... Not sure how i managed that as this stuff is very thin and watery. The lid/ brush hit the floor and it took a few minutes to get all the fuzz/ dog and cat fur off. I've also stabbed myself a few times packing deer hair with my hands, nothing too serious though. I've also cut myself using razors to shape foam/ balsa wood poppers etc... Oh, and one time i was bending a hook (mustad i think, something designed more as a bait hook than a fly hook) Anyways, i had it clamped tight in my vise and was trying to bend it with some pliers. Instead of bending it snapped out of my vise and flew across the living room. It took me about 2 hours to find it. I have a toddler, cats, and dogs, so that wasn't something I wanted laying on the floor. Since then if i need to bend a hook i use 2 pairs of pliers.

I was preparing for a Tying Demo at a show and I had about 13 Buck tails in my travel bag( some one of a kind shades I have never found since!!) and I forgot to zip it up...ran to the supermarket and when I came back, my Border collie had SHREDDED every single one!!! My living room looked like a Rainbow colored deer exploded all over the carpet!!!!!! Needless to say, there were some colorful "land-mines" around the yard!!!