Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

009/109 Palomino Midge

I want to share with you my new pattern, It's the Palomino Midge. I think is easy to tie, the only fact that I don't like about it, is that it doesn't has any weight..Anyone fished it? it Is effective??

Oscar

post-36075-0-27352800-1327261711_thumb.jpg

I haven't tried the pattern, but you could probably add a bead head for weight.

Hello!

Yep, you're right, is a good idea, I'll do it and share the picture

Thanks

Oscar

I think that fly is more for emerger type fishing just in the surface film. I think a bead would work as well but tie a few of them with and without beads and see which brings you more luck. Also might be a good idea to sink a normal one with split shot so it looks like it is moving through the water column. I have to tie a few of these myself this year.

Also looking at the pattern from "The Handbook of Hatches" you probably could make your body a little longer, maybe a 1/3 longer.

Great job by the way.

I have been using the Palamino Midge for a number of years. It is an excellent addition to one's fly box. In my experience, on the tail waters I visit in the Eastern Sierras, the pattern works best when fished dead drift. I have picked up quite number of fish as the fly ends it's drift and begins to swing upwards in the water column. My son had an epic afternoon, using this guy, in olive, on the Madison River. I tie 'em in olive, black, tan, cream and brown...in #18 - #20

PT/TB ;)

not EVERY fly needs to have a bead as this one is an emerger to be fished in the film.

your fly is fine but i would work on the head area a little bit more

examples

https://www.google.com/search?q=palomino+midge&hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=oHwdT-TwH-bG0QG206CUCw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ&biw=782&bih=445

I have been using the Palamino Midge for a number of years. It is an excellent addition to one's fly box. In my experience, on the tail waters I visit in the Eastern Sierras, the pattern works best when fished dead drift. I have picked up quite number of fish as the fly ends it's drift and begins to swing upwards in the water column. My son had an epic afternoon, using this guy, in olive, on the Madison River. I tie 'em in olive, black, tan, cream and brown...in #18 - #20

PT/TB ;)

Hello!

Thank you for write on my post. Is my very first time making this pattern and of course will be my firs time fishing with it. Thank you for all your info! The one in the picture is made in hook #16.

Best,

Oscar

I think that fly is more for emerger type fishing just in the surface film. I think a bead would work as well but tie a few of them with and without beads and see which brings you more luck. Also might be a good idea to sink a normal one with split shot so it looks like it is moving through the water column. I have to tie a few of these myself this year.

Also looking at the pattern from "The Handbook of Hatches" you probably could make your body a little longer, maybe a 1/3 longer.

Great job by the way.

Hey Fishdragon

Thanks for write me, I have heard about the book, is a good one? I'm going to try it with the bead head and see how it looks.

thanks!

Oscar

not EVERY fly needs to have a bead as this one is an emerger to be fished in the film.

your fly is fine but i would work on the head area a little bit more

examples

https://www.google.com/search?q=palomino+midge&hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=oHwdT-TwH-bG0QG206CUCw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ&biw=782&bih=445

Hello Flytire

So far my biggest challenge are heads....therefore, proportions...I need to work a lot on it. Thank you for the examples, those look sooooooooo different than mine.

Thanks!

Oscar

Oscar,

Checked out your BLOG and since you live in the same area, perhaps you will come across this fellow in your tying adventures and travels...he ties some great patterns !!!

http://www.danica.com/flytier/jdavies/jdavies.htm

PT/TB :)

wow....25.000 flies...that's a lot of flies. Eventually I would like to become a commercial fly tyer...but I don't know how..let's see.

Thank you for the info! I'm gonna try to contact him and find a little bit more.

Check out my new pattern, Serendipity, is a nice one

cheers!

Oscar

Hello Osedma

The book is a good book and explains alot of what fish eat, why they eat those insects, and how to effectively imitate and fish with the proper presentation. I am not sure of the area you fish but for me in Eastern Canada is explains alot of what I was wanting to know. I highly recommend it.