Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

can someone explain this style hook??

user posted image

just wondering what the benifit of a "keel" style hook is?

Looking at a couple in a book right now and i've never used one, i realize that the fly will ride in the manner it is in the pic but why would you use this style hook over a normal 3xl streamer hook dunno.gif

SD

Like a bendback, it is weedless. The wing acts as a weed guard and prevents fouling.

It works real well when you're casting around trees and roots. We use them down here when casting around Mangrove trees.

Galloup uses this style hook for one of his streamers but the hooks are hard to find. My guess would be that they reduce line twist and spinning when stripping streamers tied on them.

Work great in grassy areas like troutbum said it helps to keep weeds off. I use the tiemco 411 bend back though I have never seen that one. If you look at Popfleyes by bob Popavics he ties two minnow immitations on a hok like that called a schoolie they look like a few fry.

Never seen one like that.

Most Bendback flies I tie on hooks I've bent myself.

The wing provides enough drag in the water to keep the fly running true.

Only real negative - is that the wing must be fairly sparce to keep the gape of the hook. Of course most flies should be sparce anyway...

I bought a pack of these keel hooks - Eagle Claw blue anodized fairly large size. The lead chuckers use them for something, I have just tied some bizarre flies on them messing around.

They are quite available at Crappy Tire in Canada, think they were about $0.20 each. Also got these cool teflon coated nickle circle hooks with super sharp points on clearance. If you are in Canada check out Canadian Tire, they have this problem that they distribute all kinds of fishing gear to all locations - even if it is not useful. Pike, bass and walleye gear is as useless for me here in Eastern Quebec as are mackerel feathers are for someone in Saskatchewan so you often find lots of weird fishing gear in clearance especially at this time of year.

QUOTE (fish @ Dec 8 2004, 12:27 PM)
I bought a pack of these keel hooks - Eagle Claw blue anodized fairly large size. The lead chuckers use them for something, I have just tied some bizarre flies on them messing around.

They are quite available at Crappy Tire in Canada, think they were about $0.20 each. Also got these cool teflon coated nickle circle hooks with super sharp points on clearance. If you are in Canada check out Canadian Tire, they have this problem that they distribute all kinds of fishing gear to all locations - even if it is not useful. Pike, bass and walleye gear is as useless for me here in Eastern Quebec as are mackerel feathers are for someone in Saskatchewan so you often find lots of weird fishing gear in clearance especially at this time of year.

Can you buy gas there with C.T. money?You could years ago in Ontario,but here in Nova Scotia its only for ,like you said : weird fishing gear laugh.gif,most of it,......... "CRAPPY" !

Like Dornug said, Galloup uses a style of keel hook for the Stacked Blonde,I have seen them used for Bonefish flies, and they are definatly weedless,tied as you have.

I think they were origanly designed for rubber worms,to hide the point of the hook,and make a weedless rig.

You can't get gas at Canadian Tire here but I think you can around Montreal. I remember visiting the Canadian Tire in Bridgewater (NS) as a kid and wondering how all those coloured bait things and big hunks of shiny metal would be used. Actually I still wonder.

If you been thinking about buying a 15lb downrigger for your 5 wt Sage, check out the Canadian Tire fishing section!