Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

010/109 Serendipity

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope this fly fish because I really like it. The Deer hair is not easy to tie...I'm wonder elk hair is the same, However I like it. It could be fish as an emerger or as a nymph, I'll try both a see what happen.

99 flies to go! Thanks!

Oscar

post-36075-0-29385300-1327422468_thumb.jpg

Oscar,

Ck. out this Craig Matthews, Serendipity video...notice how he ties in the deer hair:

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how-to/the_original_serendipity/

BTW...the fish don't care if the head is scraggly - or not...

PT/TB :D

umm I see, he just put the hair in the front and he didn't cut it like me. I have to be honest,give some nice shape to the head is not easy. I will try it today.

Thank you!

Oscar

For you fly fishing history buffs.

Here is the story of the Serendipity pattern as told by Patrick Maxon, who was present when the pattern was invented.
Patrick was a member of Flyfish@, the first internet fly fishing mailing list. He wrote about the origin of the
Serendipity in 1995 post.

http://jdunns.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/wr-flyfish.pl?440487%20444533%20/home/joel/flyfish/log9502b.txt:flyfish95:76:4046

Ross Merigold was a famous guide who loved the Madison River. His friends have placed a bronze plaque on a
boulder beside his favorite place on the Madison now called the Ross Merigold Hole. It can be seen just upstream from
the Raynold's Bridge. Anyone who has fished this area will recognize this location.

Here's a view of his plaque.

35337749150_91056d830a_o.jpg

This photo is taken from the Raynold's Pass Bridge looking upstream. The second fly fisher on the right is just
downstream from the hole and the plaque can be seen on the boulder on the bank, upstream behind him.

35724813465_a4970dfac3_o.jpg

Here's a close up of the spot.

35724811265_fc3e4ef9ea_o.jpg

For you fly fishing history buffs.

Here is the story of the Serendipity pattern as told by Patrick Maxon, who was present when the pattern was invented.

Patrick was a member of Flyfish@, the first internet fly fishing mailing list. He wrote about the origin of the

Serendipity in 1995 post.

http://jdunns.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/wr-flyfish.pl?440487%20444533%20/home/joel/flyfish/log9502b.txt:flyfish95:76:4046

Ross Merigold was a famous guide who loved the Madison River. His friends have placed a bronze plaque on a

boulder beside his favorite place on the Madison now called the Ross Merigold Hole. It can be seen just upstream from

the Raynold's Bridge. Anyone who has fished this area will recognize this location.

Here's a view of his plaque.

RossMerigoldPlaque.jpg

This photo is taken from the Raynold's Pass Bridge looking upstream. The second fly fisher on the right is just

downstream from the hole and the plaque can be seen on the boulder on the bank, upstream behind him.

Cabinfrombridge.jpg

Here's a close up of the spot.

RossMerigoldHole.jpg

Hi Silver Creek

Thank you for share with me the history about this pattern, is really interesting to know it. By the way the place look great to go fishing. Do you live close to this place?'

Thanks!

Oscar

Hi Silver Creek

Thank you for share with me the history about this pattern, is really interesting to know it. By the way the place look great to go fishing. Do you live close to this place?'

Thanks!

Oscar

You asked if I live close and that is a yes and no. I live in Wisconsin but my close friend, Jim has a log home and a guest cabin just up from the Raynold's Pass Bridge. His place is the furthest log home you see on the right bank in the photo below. Jim was the owner of Weinbbrenner, the manufacturer of the Gary Borger Wading Boot. He passed away 2 years ago but I have an open invitation to stay at the guest cottage from his wife.

Cabinfrombridge.jpg

Here is Jim fishing the Ross Marigold hole in 2006. He loved the Madison River.

DSC01164.jpg

Here is Jim and now Carmen's place on the Madison. If you ever fish this area you will recognize the home. I stay in the guest cabin on the right.

CabinA.jpg

I also own 28 acres on a Montana spring creek I fish each year.

755BlainesUpstream-1.jpg

The Three Amigos on the spring creek

Blaineswithfriends.jpg

Hi Silver Creek

Thanks!

Oscar

You asked if I live close and that is a yes and no. I live in Wisconsin but my close friend, Jim has a log home and a guest cabin just up from the Raynold's Pass Bridge. His place is the furthest log home you see on the right bank in the photo below. Jim was the owner of Weinbbrenner, the manufacturer of the Gary Borger Wading Boot. He passed away 2 years ago but I have an open invitation to stay at the guest cottage from his wife.

Cabinfrombridge.jpg

Here is Jim fishing the Ross Marigold hole in 2006. He loved the Madison River.

DSC01164.jpg

Here is Jim and now Carmen's place on the Madison. If you ever fish this area you will recognize the home. I stay in the guest cabin on the right.

CabinA.jpg

I also own 28 acres on a Montana spring creek I fish each year.

755BlainesUpstream-1.jpg

The Three Amigos on the spring creek

Blaineswithfriends.jpg

Hi!

wow..nice history,I'm glad to heard about it. Great place and great house, but I'm sorry to heard about Jim.

I'm in Calgary, AB Canada. I'm thinking maybe go to Montana to do some fishing in the summer. We're 2 hours away from the border with Montana, really I want to do it BUT I don't any place or being a foreign I can go fishing..I don't how it works. Please if you have any advice for me...it will be really appreciate.

Thank you so much for share with me your history.

Oscar

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope this fly fish because I really like it. The Deer hair is not easy to tie...I'm wonder elk hair is the same, However I like it. It could be fish as an emerger or as a nymph, I'll try both a see what happen.

99 flies to go! Thanks!

Oscar

Oscar, I'm from Calgary too and was able to fish the Madison last summer. Lots of great water out that way.

As for your serendipity, I would try it with a little less deer hair than you have there, and clip the butts a little closer before you tie them in. You can also shorten them up by doing a couple of loose wraps and pulling the hair toward the rear of the fly. Once the hair is just about to the thread pull it tight. It makes it easier to get them to the right length rather than cutting them after you tie them in.

Personally, I deer hair on the serendipity as the elk hair want to splay a little more.

Hope that helps.