Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

what vise might this be?

It might be a really old model of a norvise if they made norvises lIke that back then. Becuase norvises have a cylindrical clamp.

Actually, I plan to tie that fly, but haven't yet. I found this when reading information about the fly tyer, Pat Barnes.

It is a very nice fly for sure!

:)

Pat Barnes popularized the Goofus Bug, but his wife, Sig, was the primary tyer for their shop.

According to sources that visited the shop and watched her tie, Sig tied on a custom/home-made rotary vise that was retrofitted with a sewing machine treadle for foot-powered production tying.

The Goofus Bug shown is quite possibly a Barnes-tied pattern clamped in the jaws of that antique, custom vise.

Nice, I didn't realize it might be the custom vise they used. I thought it was some other kind of antique vise. Thanks guys! Stuff like this is very cool.

Not to be argumentative, but the fly looks like a Humpy to me. :unsure:

Humpy Goofus Bug, same thing. You say tomatoe, I say tomatoe. That vise sure looks like Sig's vise.

Humpy Goofus Bug, same thing. You say tomatoe, I say tomatoe. That vise sure looks like Sig's vise.

Well, the first trout I caught on a fly I tied was on a Goofus bug, and the pattern did not look like that. But, it matters not .... B)