Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

011/109 Biot Body Midge Pupa

Ok, here a new one! I like it and I think it will fish at the Bow River.Couple weeks ago I was fishing there and it was a midges hatch. Someone using it?

Thanks!

Oscar

post-36075-0-95017500-1327551175_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

I would only change the gill tuffs coming up off the back of the thorax. The gills at the head may be a little long as well. Your ties are coming along well. You can also use unwaxed dental floss for gills(I think that they look better but be careful with the head cement as it will go along the floss and harden it). I mainly use CDC for emerger type midges.

One thing with midges is there are thousands upon thousands of them and it is hard to judge from river to river what will work there as opposed to a river a 1km away. Most midge patterns are easy to tie, yours is a little more complicated(not a bad thing), and most are from size #18 and smaller but the farther you go north the bigger they will get. The only way to really know if it works on a said rivers is either catch midges and their pupa or just tie a variety of flies and see what works.

Oscar,

Coming along nicely!!!

Midges are one of my favorite patterns to use since I fish many tail waters here in the Sierras. When you get a chance, look over some of the patterns that Pat Dorsey and his partner Steve Parrott tie for Colorado. Most of the recipes for these flies are on Pat's site. They work...

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Midges

...adjust the colors and sizes to what is found in your area.

PT/TB ;)