Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ThreeJsDad

Need some opinions

Hey Folks, I am hoping to get some input on a project I am kicking around. This a rough draft of a vise I have been thinking about. I am not sure where I am going with this project but there are many option for materials. I have made some new tooling to make the rotation joints even cleaner and smoother. I am looking at different options for the jaws that vary from having some made to using existing jaws. If, based on the pics, anyone has suggestions on the shape or things they would like to see in a vise please contribute. I really like the organic look as opposed to the machinery look so don't ask me to change that.

post-28595-0-23031800-1327556063_thumb.jpg post-28595-0-55086500-1327556124_thumb.jpg

quite interesting

on the vise jaws, the adjustment screw and the tightening screw should be on the same side.

on the rotating button on the back of the vise, would a pin coming out of it be better for rotating with your finger. (see renzetti vises)

is the base heavy enough for heavy handed tyers/tying?

the 'organic look' wouldnt be for me but if thats what you want then go for it.

good luck with your project

Thanks Flytire, Those are just the things I need to know. The groove on the wheel is part of the pin rotation system that I haven't finished yet. The jaws threw me a few curves as they were designed for s different system. The base feels good but it would not be tough to make it a little heavier.

Thanks Again, Paul

Looks like Corian or a similar product.

I assume your casting this so that's why your maintaining the "organic" look.

I would be concerned with the strength depending upon the type of mat'l it is.

I have worked with some of these type mat'ls in the past and some are relatively brittle when compared to a steel/brass/aluminum.

I can't really give you "expert" advise on its fly tying functionality as I have just started tying myself.

I do have some cosmetic suggestions which usually are a matter of opinion so take them for what they are.

1) I'd dump the slotted screw for holding the jaws to the arm, looks cheap, I'd use a Button head cap screw in black finish.

2) the rotating knob, you can see where it was machined and that effects the nice smooth cast color/texture.

3) if its on the light side could you cast in some heavier mat'l on the bottom side of it where its not visible.

I like the cast look to a degree, I assume that you can cast it in different colors similar to corian. That might be an selling point to some. Personally I think that a few machined and black anodized aluminum parts would look nice in contrast to the cast mat'l. I'd do the 2 knobs that way myself. Depending upon the color your casting you could do contrasting anodized colors.

in the rotating joint are there bearing inside the pedestal part to provide smooth rotation?

what keeps the vise arm from just free spinning?

one drawback i see is that it is not height adjustable. not everybody ties on short stemmed vises

i would look a photos of rotary vises to see what features could be incorporated into your project

Thanks Guys!!

It is machined from a synthetic material. I just wanted something a bit different from my HMH. My Spartan isn't height adjustable and most of the pedestal vises I have seen have no to very little adjustment for height, I have no idea how to work that into a pedestal vise. if the height becomes adjustable then the hook will not rotate on axis. The bearings is a really good idea, I had considered that but then how to increase tension for rotation was an issue to deal with. Yah! that silver screw Was very ugly but I searched my shop high and low that night and could not find a black 8-32 screw. I have one in there now though.. B)

The jaws are some I grabbed off Ebay and are for a Griffin so they look some modding to work the way I wanted. I wanted both screws on both sides but I broke tooooo many drill bits trying to drill the jaws. I will probably use Renzetti jaws on the next one. This was just a rough draft to see if it would even work.

That groove in the knob was put there for a clutch system I was intending to use for the rotation handle. I have since decided to go a different direction.

It seems plenty strong for most tying but I would not drop it on a concrete floor. If we consider the strength of most tying thread many vises are way over built and therefore loose some of their elegance (IMO). On the weight side I considered making the base two layers thick, right now it is in the shape of a MayFly wing.

Since this is a rough draft I really appreciate all the input. Obviously cosmetic stuff is personal and will improve when I get serious about doing one but the input is still very helpful.

my goal was to do a sculpture that help a hook and be as pretty as the bugs we tie. I think I may do one out of an exotic hard wood like Blood wood.

What a wonderful project, thanks for sharing with us.

I would like to see how the vise would look if the stem slopes up instead of down - similar to the J-Vise.

The matching bobbin is very cool too!

What a wonderful project, thanks for sharing with us.

I would like to see how the vise would look if the stem slopes up instead of down - similar to the J-Vise.

The matching bobbin is very cool too!

Thank You ! I really considered running the neck that way but went this way to have a hand rest but now I am thinking I will try the a neck that run s the other way to give me more room to work.

The bobbin actually cam first, I really like these little bobbins. Getting the ceramic tube nice and smooth is not a simple task.

Paul

Hi Threes,

A Little bit of a late post but I stumbled upon it today. I was wondering if the material you are using is similar to soapstone, but just a bit harder. I too like the organic look of the vise you have made. Now as a suggestion, if you are going to make custom made vises I would suggest adding a few things to it. They would be simple additions and would also make the product more marketable.

1. I would add a Gallows bracket for Gallows/paraloop tools. This would be a great addition INMO

2. Bobbin Holder

3. In the verticle shaft, since it is thick, I might even think about making some holes/shafts, (at an angle) up the side or back side, where one can place his/her working tools such as scissors, whip finisher, etc. in it. That way the tools are readily available. It would act as a vise and a tool holder all in one.

4. I do agree with another post about the achor screw for the jaws. I would not call it cheap, but I do think you might want to use a machined screw of some sorts.

In all, I think that you have a nice product. I would be interested in purchasing one when you are finished with it. However, I may even want more additions to it. I like things to be neat and clean when tying. I would also like my vise to serve as a multifunctional too, instead of the typical vise that one has that rotates and clamps to a desk. Great job! Let us know what you have come up with and post some updates. Cheers to ya.

Hi Threes,

A Little bit of a late post but I stumbled upon it today. I was wondering if the material you are using is similar to soapstone, but just a bit harder. I too like the organic look of the vise you have made. Now as a suggestion, if you are going to make custom made vises I would suggest adding a few things to it. They would be simple additions and would also make the product more marketable.

1. I would add a Gallows bracket for Gallows/paraloop tools. This would be a great addition INMO

2. Bobbin Holder

3. In the verticle shaft, since it is thick, I might even think about making some holes/shafts, (at an angle) up the side or back side, where one can place his/her working tools such as scissors, whip finisher, etc. in it. That way the tools are readily available. It would act as a vise and a tool holder all in one.

4. I do agree with another post about the achor screw for the jaws. I would not call it cheap, but I do think you might want to use a machined screw of some sorts.

In all, I think that you have a nice product. I would be interested in purchasing one when you are finished with it. However, I may even want more additions to it. I like things to be neat and clean when tying. I would also like my vise to serve as a multifunctional too, instead of the typical vise that one has that rotates and clamps to a desk. Great job! Let us know what you have come up with and post some updates. Cheers to ya.

Thanks for stepping up!! The screw is now a black button head. This one was literally made from stuff I had on hand. I really like the idea of the holes for tools, that is brilliant ! A bobbin holder is on the agenda, I just haven't yet sorted out exactly how I want to do it. I believe I have sorted how to set it up so no matter how much tension there is on the rotation system the handle will always drop to the down position and be ready to use.

Paul

Sounds good Paul. I hope that your product makes ya some money and/or happiness. It is a very nice clean vise and once you add all the gadgets and gizmos it will be one heck of a tool. I am an advocate for all those who make thier own stuff and are successful. This is what we need now a days is for people to step up, produce, and market his or her products. Who knows, once you get it where you want it, you may be able to have a large company invest in your vise as the newest thing on the market. It happens all the time. I would be very proud of what you have already if it were me. Good luck on your adventure. Keep us updated. Cheers to ya!

Sounds good Paul. I hope that your product makes ya some money and/or happiness. It is a very nice clean vise and once you add all the gadgets and gizmos it will be one heck of a tool. I am an advocate for all those who make thier own stuff and are successful. This is what we need now a days is for people to step up, produce, and market his or her products. Who knows, once you get it where you want it, you may be able to have a large company invest in your vise as the newest thing on the market. It happens all the time. I would be very proud of what you have already if it were me. Good luck on your adventure. Keep us updated. Cheers to ya!

Thank you so Much for your kind words !! I will keep everyone posted

Paul