Fly Tying
breambuster

Substitution Suggestions Needed

In the Swap Club being run by RifleRiverSteelheadSlayer over on the Swap board, the February pattern is a Pike fly which I've never tie before. Pike don't inhabit our warm Southern waters. The pattern I'm looking at calls for Saltwater Yak Hair. The pattern is a "Bigeyed Baitfish." If someone can suggest an easier pattern, using more standard materials, I'm all for that, also. But if not, can someone suggest another material that will substitute for saltwater yak hair. JStockard doesn't carry that.

Thanks

BB

yak hair is just a long fibered material, 4-8 inches long or longer.

you can sub just about any long hair, one that comes to mind is islandic sheep. another possibility might be rabbit zonker strips

if you resisted the urge to cash in on the hair extender fad , u could use long feathers and tie a decever style fly.

Yak is stiffer than Icelandic sheep and rabbit. A synthetic like super hair or slinky fiber would probably work as a substitute since texture wise they are fairly similar. If tying the big eye baitfish a bit shorter then you could just use bucktail

If I'm not mistaken, the freshwater yaks are closely related to the saltwater yaks, so you could use one of those...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Guys, I saw the pattern in a video and I'm pretty sure the stuff the guy is using and that he calls "Saltwater Yak Hair" is a synthetic material. But no problem. I've found another pattern that I like better that uses bucktail, so I think I'm going to go with that. At least I know what bucktail is and where to get it!

Take care

BB

I just sent you a PM with something that may be some help. Just use whatever color you need. :D