Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Chocktawatchee Bay Destin Fl

Is anyone familiar with the fishing in this area? Is it good? What species. Thanks!

I haven't fished that far west on the panhandle but I know it has the usual North Florida species - trout, redfish, mackerel, bluefish, pompano, etc. There is a really good cobia run around there every year as well.

I've caught reds, speckled trout, white trout and sheepshead there but I fished it in February last year. When are you going to fish it?

The time of year you are going is a biggy as to what species are available.......my favorite time of the year down there is early October......Check out Half hitch tackles website, they have alot of archived fishing reports....unfortunately they aren't as up to date as I would like to see, but you can check the archived reports going back several years by month......I would also send a PM to "Panama Red", he is a very active member of this site who is from the Panama City area which isn't too far away, he could probably give you some good basic advice....

Good Luck!

Mike

I've caught reds, speckled trout, white trout and sheepshead there but I fished it in February last year. When are you going to fish it?

Wife thinking of buying a business property on the bay. I am against the idea but the place does have a dock on the bay. She asked if I would post on here and check out the fishing.

Wife thinking of buying a business property on the bay. I am against the idea but the place does have a dock on the bay. She asked if I would post on here and check out the fishing.

I live in Pensacola, fL. but if your wife will have me, I am willing to relocate to a place on the bay!!!

The fishing in the Panhandle can be awesome and Destin is well known for it's offshore fishing. They also have a great fly fishing club there, I have done many fly demos for them and they are a great group of guys. I would second the idea of getting in touch with Dave, Panama Red, he is an exceptional person and quite knowledgable as well. Inshore, in addition to the above, you can also expect some shots at quite large jack crevalle and bonito as school of them hunt the coast from late spring through the fall/winter. Unfortunately we do not have snook or bonefish, but we do get some big tarpon through in the summer. Last year there were more big schools of tarpon than I have ever seen before. Eight weight thru ten weights are predominant rods of choice, with some preferring lighter for fishing docks and heavier for tarpon. Hope this helps.

If you are talking about the property right at the end of the 331 bridge...Good Luck! that place has had so many businesses in it in the last 20+ years with no successes. Of course over the last 10 years or so the area has really developed into a tourist destination. The Sandestin resort really is a busy place too and its a short drive away. There is a nice marina on the south side of the bay down near the Sandestin area,I can't remember the name, maybe Red can help you with that. Between the marina and Half Hitch tackle , you should be able to get a good fishing report. With as mild a winter as they have been having , I'm sure the fishing is still going pretty good. I remember there being lots of grass flats scattered throughout the bay ...great for reds and trout! The rivers and intercoastal provide a lot of great fishing also. I sure wish I had been fly fishing when I lived on the bay. What a blast it would have been fly fishing in the gulf when the pompano and cobia and amberjack are running...I envy you! :lol: