Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Various Striped Bass Flies!

These are some various patterns I've tied & use for Striped Bass. I also use some of them for LM Bass, since both are present in some of the waters I fish.

Hope you like them!

Bendback

100_4244A.jpg

Clouser w/spinner (See Cowens Coyote)

100_4235A.jpg

Seaducer

100_4224A.jpg

Night Fly, Black & Glow in the Dark

100_4222A.jpg

McNally Magnum

100_4220A.jpg

Seaducer Variation

100_4219A.jpg

8" Clouser

100_4199A.jpg

8" Clouser

100_4198A.jpg

6" Clouser

100_4197A.jpg

Velvet Tube Eel

100_4196A.jpg

Velvet Tube Eel

100_4195A.jpg

Deceiver ( Actually a Snook pattern)

100_4189A.jpg

Crab

100_4188A.jpg

Baby Spanish Mac

100_4185A.jpg

Epoxy Minnow

100_4180A.jpg

Epoxy Sand Eel

100_4179A.jpg

Deceiver

100_4169A.jpg

Floating Baitfish

100_4168A.jpg

Great Flies!!! Those velvet eels bring back memories!! When that pattern came out in the mid-90's i tied a ton of 'em!! They were responsible for alot of fish!! The material then kind of vanished for about 10 years....glad to see its available again!!! If you can find a deep red it makes a Killah' cinder worm!!!

Thanks! I've used the red, but not as much as white & black. These particular flies were tied a number of years ago, and have been sitting in my boxes. I have a bunch of the velvet eels too, and have not bought any of the velvet in awhile. Used to get it at a Joann's Fabric shop, but haven't looked to see if they still have it recently. If you notice the red on the head of the white one, that is a way we used of marking these, and the white one has a rattle in the head/body. It's possible, that these two flies could have been tied by a friend of mine. He was my fishing buddy for 15 years, and passed away back in 2005. When I tied commercially, he would often help me with orders, and these were one of the flies he did often. Could not tell his flies from mine! :)

Great post TWF!! thank-you!

I am loading up for my vacation this Summer and your posts have been very helpful as i load my flyboxes.......The velvet eel looks interesting.......Is the head just epoxy or is it lead?

Mike

Mike, we made them 2 ways. All had heavy lead wire wrapped at the head, about 5 or 6 wraps. Some had rattles, some did not. I don't recall what size wire we used. I have it written down somewhere.

The wrapped lead wire helped them sink a bit faster, but not as fast as they might have with barbell's, which I'm sure could be used too. Also didn't get the pronounced jigging action with the wire.

The head is built up with thread, and coated with epoxy. Stick on eye's were used on all of them. Plus, we wrapped a bit of red thread at the front of the head to indicate those with rattles, without having to shake them! :rolleyes:

THANKS!

So far, I have tied up some crease flies, bunny strips, clousers, decievers, murdich minnows, and next on the list are some merkin crabs.....I will have to make a trip to the craft store and look for some of that velvet rope......

Mike